2 dives 88, 95 feet no safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms Jane---Welcome to Scubaboard!

Thanks for your wonderful advice from your own personal experiences in learning buoyancy control.

AZDiver

Ms Jane:
Hey there Crazy Bob... Been there, done that. Mine experience was somewhat more challenging, however, in that about 12 years ago I did a rocket ascent from 75 feet in Lake Tahoe. Not good--particularly in that, at that altitude, you start OUT as a "J" diver before you even hit the beach. Anyway, after that, I got serious about learning boyancy control.

Hank49:
I seem to remember reading or hearing back in the late 90s, that Australian PADI instructors did not have to perform the CESA during an OW course because there were cases of DCS associated with multiple ascents and decents in classes with lots of students.

With my agency although CESA is covered in theory it isnt trained or practiced. 2 reasons i suspect for this, firstly the above reason but also that its now decided there are so many far better alternatives its so unlikely to ever be needed the risks outweight the benefits. Students know its a last resort option but thats it.

String:
With my agency although CESA is covered in theory it isnt trained or practiced. 2 reasons i suspect for this, firstly the above reason but also that its now decided there are so many far better alternatives its so unlikely to ever be needed the risks outweight the benefits. Students know its a last resort option but thats it.
My PADI instructor did CESA with each of us (4). He’s an older gentleman, 50 perhaps, and said later that afternoon (just an incidental comment) doing that many was tiring with the up and down.

And BTW re: teaching theory vs practice: I was worried I could do it, and very relieved to have practiced, discovering the gas expansion theory more reassuring to experience.

I really like the tips here. For all you folks that hate to keep repeating, I really appreciate them. Hearing the same things in different words helps reinforce the lesson.

redrover:
My PADI instructor did CESA with each of us (4). He’s an older gentleman, 50 perhaps, and said later that afternoon (just an incidental comment) doing that many was tiring with the up and down.

And BTW re: teaching theory vs practice: I was worried I could do it, and very relieved to have practiced, discovering the gas expansion theory more reassuring to experience.

I really like the tips here. For all you folks that hate to keep repeating, I really appreciate them. Hearing the same things in different words helps reinforce the lesson.

lol I have GOT to show my husband this. Hes 52 and dosnt know hes an "older gentleman". Fianlly I have proof :)

As I start coming up and am within less than 40 feet of the surface I dump almost all of my air from the BC. Then I just continue slow finning to slowly surface. Go slow, otherwise, you could rise quicker than you expect. At 30 feet, watch your depth gauge. Slowly come up from there and I usually dump all air by then. If correctly weighted, you should be neutral and can control your ascent. Then you can just hang at 15 feet. After safety stop, slowly kick a few kicks and let yourself float to the surface slowly. Just like descending, any kicks can push you toward the surface quickly. And yes, you should get some more dives in before going to those depths.

CRAZYBOBC:
I recently completed to dives in West Palm Beach. This was my first dive w/out a line to hold going down and up. First dives Aruba no current. Anyway besides getting sick on the way to the spot (seasick). I completed my first dive 88 feet in 24 mins and started my ascent as I watched my computer go into the too fast ascent zone before i knew it I had surfaced. I asked the Cap't if I would be ok he said I wasn't down long enough. I felt fine other than seasickness again. The surface interval was 1 hr 14 mins, the next dive began and at some point I was down to 95 feet, started my ascent after 27 mins and being mindful of my first no safety stop ascent tried to make sure I had one at 15 feet. Unfortunately again I hit the surface my computer again was in the red for ascending too fast. Anyway I boarded and was seasick for the rest of the ride back to the dock. Fortunately I am fine and besides having a sore stomach "dry heaving from not eating anything" I am ok.
My first question is how do you stop yourself from surfaceing without a safety, and not having anything to hold on to. Second had I been down longer could I have had a more "severe" problem. Finally has anyone else eperienced this. I dont think this is something you can practice in a pool, but how do you "practice" or is it better for me to avoid this type of diving?????

I want to make it clear, this was all me nothing to do with the dive op.
They were great and made me feel as comfortable as possible.

:sick:
Adding to your risk of DSC is the seasickness witch causes dehydration. So don't dive at all if you have been dry heaving.

You can also practise boyancy control at a bottom line. Just follow it up without touching. Thean if you loose it and start to acend too fast you can grap the line. But it is naturally a bad idea to have to relay on the line for a safe acend.

Good luck with the practice!

DameDykker:
You can also practise boyancy control at a bottom line. Just follow it up without touching. Thean if you loose it and start to acend too fast you can grap the line. But it is naturally a bad idea to have to relay on the line for a safe acend.

good advice this, you should be able to ascend along the line without touching it, only problem is if there is a strong current.

one thing i learnt on an early dive, if you are using the anchor line for your stop, and your are positively bouyant, then you can pull the line up with you..and the piece of line you were holding onto is now at 3 ft instead of 15..thats why a lot of boats hang a 20ft line from the back with weights on..thats not going anywhere

CRAZYBOBC:
I recently completed to dives in West Palm Beach. This was my first dive w/out a line to hold going down and up. First dives Aruba no current. Anyway besides getting sick on the way to the spot (seasick). I completed my first dive 88 feet in 24 mins and started my ascent as I watched my computer go into the too fast ascent zone before i knew it I had surfaced. I asked the Cap't if I would be ok he said I wasn't down long enough. I felt fine other than seasickness again. The surface interval was 1 hr 14 mins, the next dive began and at some point I was down to 95 feet, started my ascent after 27 mins and being mindful of my first no safety stop ascent tried to make sure I had one at 15 feet. Unfortunately again I hit the surface my computer again was in the red for ascending too fast. Anyway I boarded and was seasick for the rest of the ride back to the dock. Fortunately I am fine and besides having a sore stomach "dry heaving from not eating anything" I am ok.
My first question is how do you stop yourself from surfaceing without a safety, and not having anything to hold on to. Second had I been down longer could I have had a more "severe" problem. Finally has anyone else eperienced this. I dont think this is something you can practice in a pool, but how do you "practice" or is it better for me to avoid this type of diving?????

I want to make it clear, this was all me nothing to do with the dive op.
They were great and made me feel as comfortable as possible.

i have never blown a saftey accept when my buddie ran out of air at 60ft and i couldnt slow him down for a saftey stop while buddy breathing, but boyency control is paramount, i was diving in MO this past weekend and learned that i dont quite have it down yet, so i possponed my aow and taking a peek preformance boy. class instead

mstroeck:
When you are overweighted, you need too much air to keep you neutrally bouyant. Going up from 40 meters to 30 meters (for example), that is not too much of a problem, as the air in your BCD will only expand by 25%.

But going up from 20 meters to 10 meters, the ambient pressure is cut in half, which means the volume of air will double. If you already have a lot of air in your jacket/wing because of being overweighted, you might pop the surface before you know what's happening.

Your close. The volume of air won't double between 20 and 10 meters because the pressure is not halved. You are moving from 3 ata to 2 ata It will double between 30 and 10 meters and between 10 meters and the surface. The total pressure at 33' is 2 times that at the surface. You don't double the pressure again untill you hit 4 atmospheres absolute, or, 30 meters. The next doubling would not happen until 70 meters (8ata).

The idea is right but the numbers were off.

Joe

Sideband:
Your close. The volume of air won't double between 20 and 10 meters because the pressure is not halved. You are moving from 3 ata to 2 ata It will double between 30 and 10 meters and between 10 meters and the surface. The total pressure at 33' is 2 times that at the surface. You don't double the pressure again untill you hit 4 atmospheres absolute, or, 30 meters. The next doubling would not happen until 70 meters (8ata).

The idea is right but the numbers were off.

Joe

Ooops, thank you for the correction! You are right, numbers are WAY off, I don't know what I was thinking.

For the record: going from 30 meters to 20 decreases volume by 25% (not from 40 to 30, as I erroneously posted); Sideband already corrected my other mistakes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom