2 Dead, 2 Injured in German lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The public prosecutor ruled that this was an accident caused by a mechanical defect or overconfidence. No third party (such as the person filling their tanks) is implicated in their deaths.

Source: NDR.

Doesn't it seem odd that a public prosecutor would have anything at ALL to say about it at this point.?

I wouldn't expect the police to even be done investigating it. I don't know how things are done in Germany but in the Netherlands the police investigate first and make a report that is sent to the public prosecutors as part of the official documentation for possible criminal investigations etc. This process ordinarily takes many weeks to complete. For a public prosecutor to ALREADY be saying what happened and who is NOT to blame is highly out of the ordinary.

I'd say take that report with a grain of salt. Either the reporter didn't know who he was talking to or the public prosecutor was talking before it was his turn.

R..

Lemna good source, explains what I know happen, as the page goes on all inexperience Divers it is a deadly trap.
They were all very, very experienced divers. One of the victims was an instructor trainer for N.O.B. (Dutch CMAS affiliate), the other one was CMAS 3* certified. Roturners speculation is the only sensible explanation: Nico probably had an accident, his buddy Fred ran out of air trying to help him and actively tried to get Bart to Nico. Their descent during the air share episode cannot have been accidental.

Doesn't it seem odd that a public prosecutor would have anything at ALL to say about it at this point.?

I wouldn't expect the police to even be done investigating it. I don't know how things are done in Germany but in the Netherlands the police investigate first and make a report that is sent to the public prosecutors as part of the official documentation for possible criminal investigations etc. This process ordinarily takes many weeks to complete. For a public prosecutor to ALREADY be saying what happened and who is NOT to blame is highly out of the ordinary.

I'd say take that report with a grain of salt. Either the reporter didn't know who he was talking to or the public prosecutor was talking before it was his turn.

R..

The person cited by the NDR (public broadcaster) report is the official press liaison for the prosecutors office. He explains that there will be no further inquiries into a third person, and that they will not perform an autopsy. I assume that they will try to find out how the accident happened.

They were all very, very experienced divers.
It sounds like there were problems dropping weights on both dead divers. The first to die might have had a medical event but when his buddy could not get him up, he went for help - running OOA, bringing the other diver down to help the first dead diver, then becoming the second to be unable to drop weights.

The no-autopsy ruling is surprising.

The person cited by the NDR (public broadcaster) report is the official press liaison for the prosecutors office. He explains that there will be no further inquiries into a third person, and that they will not perform an autopsy. I assume that they will try to find out how the accident happened.

Oh I see. So basically he's saying that they've already decided not to pursue criminal investigations related to 3rd parties. Still odd that he's already telling the press what the cause of the accident was though... sloppy. I would think those involved would be looking for an autopsy on at least the first diver's body in order to clarify what happened.

R..

It sounds like there were problems dropping weights on both dead divers. The first to die might have had a medical event but when his buddy could not get him up, he went for help - running OOA, bringing the other diver down to help the first dead diver, then becoming the second to be unable to drop weights.

If indeed that's what actually happened. This theory was proposed earlier in the thread but there are no facts stating that he deliberately descended the 2nd time around. It was put forth as a possibility.

The no-autopsy ruling is surprising.

To me too.

R..

If indeed that's what actually happened. This theory was proposed earlier in the thread but there are no facts stating that he deliberately descended the 2nd time around. It was put forth as a possibility.
Well, it does seem evident that the first dead diver could not be raised by weight dropping, and the second died when his lead could not be dropped or kit removed. Got to wonder about the gear, as well as divers who couldn't handle the gear.

To me too.

R..
Maybe that was a mistaken reference? And it might still be done in the home country.

Well, it does seem evident that the first dead diver could not be raised by weight dropping, and the second died when his lead could not be dropped or kit removed. Got to wonder about the gear, as well as divers who couldn't handle the gear.

Well Don, I didn't read anywhere that anyone actually tried to rescue the first diver. That was also put forth as part of the theory.

From the account posted on the website it would appear that the 2nd diver did have trouble removing his weights. It would be interesting to know why that happened.

Maybe that was a mistaken reference? And it might still be done in the home country.

Yeah, the family can probably get it done in the Netherlands regardless of what the P.P. in Germany decided to do.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom