2 days in PI, where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have to go to Shanghai in two weeks and I just found out the company I am visiting is doing a 4 day annual "Company Outing" with all of the employees from Sept 14 through 17. So I can hang in Shanghai, or was maybe thinking of going to Xian to see the terracotta warriors, or possibly fly down to the Philippines for a couple of days of diving (maybe). I am looking for quick/inexpensive dive options assuming I fly into Manila.

I am sort of considering going to Sabang (using Air Juan) to dive Sat/Sun and then Air Juan back and return to Shanghai Monday evening (if I can make the times/flights work). Since I just went there in May, I know how to get there... It's about $270 RT for air to PI and roughly $250-300 USD for Air Juan RT to PG, 3 night hotel, equipment & maybe 5 or 6 dives (~$300 with tips)... so call it ~$1k-1.2k for the weekend. (My wife will kill me if I tell her...) Is there any reef diving closer to Manila? And I don't really want a 4 hour bus ride to Anilao...

I would probably just take my mask, computer and regs (maybe 3mm suit) and rent everything else. Please let me know your ideas.

I have to go to Shanghai in two weeks and I just found out the company I am visiting is doing a 4 day annual "Company Outing" with all of the employees from Sept 14 through 17. So I can hang in Shanghai, or was maybe thinking of going to Xian to see the terracotta warriors, or possibly fly down to the Philippines for a couple of days of diving (maybe). I am looking for quick/inexpensive dive options assuming I fly into Manila.

I am sort of considering going to Sabang (using Air Juan) to dive Sat/Sun and then Air Juan back and return to Shanghai Monday evening (if I can make the times/flights work). Since I just went there in May, I know how to get there... It's about $270 RT for air to PI and roughly $250-300 USD for Air Juan RT to PG, 3 night hotel, equipment & maybe 5 or 6 dives (~$300 with tips)... so call it ~$1k-1.2k for the weekend. (My wife will kill me if I tell her...) Is there any reef diving closer to Manila? And I don't really want a 4 hour bus ride to Anilao...

I would probably just take my mask, computer and regs (maybe 3mm suit) and rent everything else. Please let me know your ideas.

That is a lot of time and money put into transit for very few dives and a very quick turnaround. I don't think it's worth it, in my honest opinion. To give you an idea and some perspective, I had 6 nights with 4 dives of boat diving per day with a DM/instructor while staying in an ocean view room, nitrox on all dives, all meals, and round trip private transfers from Manila for $1200. Add in your air ticket, and it's not much more. Money aside, I am in awe of how much time you would be on a plane (Shanghai to Philippines is not *that* close) and in airports that don't necessarily run on time and as efficiently as in mainland China.

I am surprised that you prefer unreliable plane transfer to sabang instead of a couple of hours drive to Anilao.

I would just take a private car to anilao about 3 hours. It's like $100 each way.

I would just do that or Disney in shanghai.

We have Disneyland here (~2 hour drive) and it was great when my kids were young, but I don't find it a place for adults... And if it is anything like the ones in the US, it might be cheaper to go diving in the Philippines... :shocked:

I am surprised that you prefer unreliable plane transfer to sabang instead of a couple of hours drive to Anilao.

Hi Freewillow, not sure what you mean? I didn't have any issues when I used Air Juan in May, 2018. Flights were on time and quick at about 30 min. A bangka (1,000 php) was waiting for me when the plane landed and took me direct to the OOTB resort. It was a great way to Sabang for my first PI trip.

If I plan for Anilao, are there any suggestions for a good quality hotel with dive operation? I would prefer reefs to muck, but don't think I will be that picky.

I can get a red eye flight out of Shanghai on Cebu Pacific at midnight and arrived Manila at ~4 AM Friday morning. The flight is not bad @ $257 USD, but looks like it only includes 20Kg luggage each way and I typically take a heavy bag for a two week trip... :(

Any suggestions for a private car service (with AC) that could pick me up about ~5-5:30am and deliver me to a resort in Anilao? If I could get an early check in and sleep, I would be ready for Sat/Sun diving. The return flight leaves Manila at 20:15 monday and arrives in Shanghai about 24:00 (probably won't get to my hotel till ~2AM+ and needing to be at work about 9am will be rough.)

I use buceo anilao as my dive resort.
They will arrange transfer for you.
Tell them before hand you prefer reefs over muck and they will try and accommodate you. They have multiple boats going out most days.

Do you have your 18hr no fly time accounted for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom