1st timer to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried El Sitio? I've heard it's a good taco place too and is on my list of places to eat

I have not tried that one (yet). One place I learned of this year that I want to try on our next trip is Chilangos Huaraches.

It is a little further back but, then again, sometimes that is where one finds the best eats and these Huraraches look way different from typical tacos and burritos.

It is about a block further back and then a block south of the Mercado Municipal so I figure when we walk back there to walk around the Mercado on a late afternoon we may as well keep walking on to this place for dinner.

Capture.JPG

So I'm here now, settling in at the Casa Mexicana. Beautiful view from my deck. So happy I splurged for it. Already had a very interesting time, just flying here. But for starters, guess where I am?! Hint, "Comida del día"...

So what did you think of Casa Cuzamil's Chile Rellenos & the Comida del dia deal? I am wondering of your assessment is the same as mine... not the absolute best best but one of the biggest and with all the extras offered with the Comedia del dia certainly a bargain. Also, I found their Chile Rellenos can be a bit on the spicy side compared to some others in the states. I think the Poblano peppers (if that is what they use) have a bit of heat to them in Mexico that those in the states don't have. I like the heat.

I have not tried that one (yet). One place I learned of this year that I want to try on our next trip is Chilangos Huaraches.

It is a little further back but, then again, sometimes that is where one finds the best eats and these Huraraches look way different from typical tacos and burritos.

I think the "furthest back" I've been is Casa Mision. We tried their famous coconut shrimp which cost more that both of our lunches put together. It was pretty good, but we really liked the lunch special. This was over a year ago and the price was $79 MX and they give you a ton of food plus all the horchata you can drink. The food was pretty basic, with rice and beans and meat and tortillas (and salsa, of course) but I love eating that way, at least in a regularly and often sort of way.

One of these trips I'm going to find the El Pechugon rotisserie chicken place. We've had their chicken at a few other locations and it has become a standard fare when in Mexico. Recently we discovered the one right next to the ADO terminal in Playa so now we get a chicken when we get off the bus, put it in our insulated bag, and eat when we get to wherever we are staying on Cozumel. I've found it on the map and it's back a ways so we will probably take a taxi for that adventure, which will add some pesos to the cost of dinner but it should still be worth it.

I have TONS to report back on this trip! Since I experienced both Coz and Mujeres, four dive trips with two dive outfits (incl. some scary hard currents on Santa Rosa Wall 3 times), half dozen restaurants (incl. a couple diff. Rellenos), two hotels, one Sea Turtle hatchling rescue, one Whale Shark trip, two MayAir hops (incl. one scary pre-flight check and plane switch), ADO bus (very nice!), Ultramar Ferry, etc.

I'd say I got a very well rounded experience! I also know exactly what I'll do same/different next trip. Frontier frequently has $210 r/t direct flights from Denver during offpeak season!! That's dangerous, lol...

My first Coz trip was amazing. I love Mexico/Yucatan, same as I loved Belize. I'm trying for a 5th final dive trip tomorrow AM, incl. possibly my 50th dive, then fly home Tuesday. I'll try to write a "big" trip report after work one day soon.

Ewww, "work", the dirty 4-letter word, yuck....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom