Question 1st time to Curaçao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We leave for Curaçao soon and will be staying/ diving at Sunscape. This is our first time diving outside of the states. Just looking for any must see must do places on the island, anything you would do differently on your trip, anything you wish you would of packed?

Make sure you have the plug adapters you need to power anything you are bringing....

IIIRC Curacao uses US style outlets.

Are you going to have a car?

IIIRC Curacao uses US style outlets.

Plug ins are the same. And we are not renting a car. Resort offers a shuttle service.
As long as you have confirmed that... I have had mixed results on my trips there...

As to other things:

The SUP (Stand up Paddleboard) excursion was fun if you are into stuff like that.
The ATV tours can be fun, again if that is your kind of thing.
The Catamaran to Klein Curacao can be fun if that is your kind of thing.
Hato Caves were interesting to us...

My 2019 ScubaBoard Surge trip report from staying there. My wife, our little girl and my mother-in-law were along, so we did some topside things, covered in that thread. If you do an ATV tour, you will be desperately grateful you bought that bandana. The Ostrich Farm, where we stopped briefly on the ATV tour, was worth a stop. The Curacao Sea Aquarium was nice. Walking around Willemstad, crossing the Queen Emma floating pontoon bridge and photographing the Handlesdade waterfront from across the water, those are givens.

I heard good things about the Ocean Encounters trip to Klein Curacao; if alone, I'd go. With the family along, my wife told my mother-in-law I'd better not. So consider the trade-offs inherent to your situation.

Is that an airport shuttle, or to town, or where?

Town is something to explore if you haven't been there before, lots of things to see and shopping if you want that. We did an interesting harbor tour once, I think they used one of the ferry boats they use when the pontoon bridge is open. Times were pretty limited making it hard to catch between everything else so need to check schedule and plan ahead.

Like other places with cruise ships possible, doesn't hurt to check the schedule if you're going downtown.

We've rented a car every time, we've been to Curacao, starting a couple days into our first trip. But we've only stayed near town once, and never AI. (Curacao has lots of good restaurants - if you decide to bail on your AI one evening, consider going to an Indonesian Rijsttafel, it's a thing there.)

You'll be in walking distance to the Seaquarium complex,, and lots of other things in the area.

We found the ostrich farm fun, a good offgassing day thing, but something you would probably want a car for. (The gift shop there might be the most interesting shopping on the island. The restaurant was pretty good too.)

Must do:
  • Rent a car
  • Contact Divechartercuracao. They run a RIB to the East end of the island Virtually undisturbed and virgin reef and what diving must have been 50 years ago
  • Dive Watamula (again Divechartercuracao)
  • Dive Tugboat
  • Dive Playa Porto Marie and have a Williburger

A half day in the city is worth the time to tour around and the synagogue and attached museum well worth the time. Oldest in the western hemisphere if my memory correct. I am not a big religious building fan but this one is unique and worth the time. Sand floors and the architecture with all the windows to try to keep it cool before AC very interesting.

A half day on a beach out west also worth the time. The beach at sunscape is man-made and has limited charm and beauty IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom