Question 1st time to Curaçao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallo vom Newbe hier!
Hoffe, dass Ihre automatische Übersetzung ähnlich verständlich funktioniert, da mein Englisch nur für Hausgebrauch taugt.
Curacao:
Geführte Tauchgänge mit Guide sind relativ teuer. Üblich ist ehr selbstständiges Buddytauchen oder solo wenn Kompetenz vorhanden.
Meer an der Westküste ist sehr klar, keine Strömung und Orientierung am Saumriff ist leicht, es gibt nur Riff linke/ rechte Schulter.
Eigener Mietwagen ist meines Erachtens ein Muss! Flaschen und Blei leihen und mit eigener Ausrüstung / Leihequipment die vielen schönen Buchten erkunden.
Zuvor zu Hause Straßenkarte Curacao downloaden und auf der Insel offline orientieren. Klappt sehr gut!
Buchten mit Basisbetrieb nördlich Willemstadt:
Kulki Beach, Kas Abao, Port Mari, Grote Knip, Kleine Knip, Playa Lagoon und einige mehr👌

Ich hatte 2019 3 Wochen keine Langeweile.
Video dazu hab ich gestern hier eingestellt, sollte bald sichtbar sein.

Außerhalb des Wassers:
Christoffel Nationalpark, Shoppen in Willemstadt, diverse Landhäuser als Museen.

Viel Spaß!!!

If you are staying a week at Sunscape without a car and diving there, you should have a great trip, but may discover there is much more to do and see than you can possibly get around to. Diving other parts of the island, restaurants, sights, shore diving, beaches, and seeing the more remote parts of the island. (Curacao has long had a reputation for being too urban and busy, from cruise ship visitors and others who stay in or near the city. But its a big island and much of it is remote and beautiful in it's desert-y way.) Treat it as an intro to Curacao and figure on returning.

If you're planning on doing an ATV trip, which I recommend, you might want to bring some clothes you don't mind getting extremally muddy. We're about to get a tropical depression pass over us so it's going to get a little wet here.

We stayed at the Sunscape for a month last Aug-Sep, and if you are just staying for a week, using The Dive Bus (I highly recommend) to access the shore dive sites north of Willemstad, and then using the shuttle to get to/from Willemstad you can get by without a rental car. Having said that, a rental car will give you a lot more flexibility to see more of the island, and do some snorkeling with turtles at Playa Grandi. I split my diving between Ocean Encounters, the on-site dive op at Sunscape for boat dives, and The Dive Bus for shore dives, finding this to be the optimum option for what I wanted to see. Since my wife was snorkeling, and I was diving and snorkeling, having a rental car enabled us to stick around the beaches after diving with the Dive Bus and snorkel with my wife, and then hit other beaches on the way back to Sunscape. Also, don't discount snorkeling along the seawall inside and outside of the lagoon. Although there is not a lot of coral inside the lagoon, there is a lot of sealife to be seen along the rocks and won't have to battle the fairly persistent wind and surge on the outside of the sea wall.
Edit: Forgot to mention that I posted a trip report after returning from this Curacao dive trip.

We have developed a great friendship with Mark and the Dive Bus folks. Concierge shore diving is a nice way to have a relaxing diving vacation.

Get up early on an off day and climb mount Christoffelberg.

+1 on the Willi Burger, and Porto Marie morning dive lunch and lounge at the bar and on the beach, them afternoon dive.

What are the entries like for the shore diving? My wife has a bad knee that doesn't handle slippery rocks or going down hill carrying scuba gear very well. We are planning on doing most of our dives with Ocean Encounters and the house reef, maybe a day or 2 with the dive bus.

What are the entries like for the shore diving? My wife has a bad knee that doesn't handle slippery rocks or going down hill carrying scuba gear very well. We are planning on doing most of our dives with Ocean Encounters and the house reef, maybe a day or 2 with the dive bus.
Most of the beaches are really easy for shore diving. It's not at all like Bonaire. There are several beaches that have dive shops with tank rentals right at the beach. We stayed at Lion's Dive right next door. The crew at Ocean Encounters is exceptional. Jeremiah, Pol, Karen and Remy are awesome and lead great dives. The shore dives right at the resort are actually pretty good!

I HIGHLY recommend going out on the RIB with KK and Andy at Dive Charter Curacao. We did the west end trip with them and two east end trips,. The west end was definitely worth it (Watamula, Mushroom Forest), but the east end is untouched and some of the best diving I've seen in the Caribbean. Plus, they are good people!

Consider a car for the freedom it provides. Lots to see and the downtown area is pretty cool. You're going to love the island. I was surprised at how good the diving is and how much I enjoyed being there.

Hi Mason... thanks for choosing Curaçao as a dive destination - and you can't go wrong staying and boat diving at Sunscape w/ Ocean Encounters! That is for sure!

For Shore Diving - head across the street and visit with Mark and his team at The Dive Bus! They are shore diving experts in Curaçao and I am sure they will be happy to provide you any assistance you want... including a few cold after-dive beers!

So... not sure what more I can add to this! 1st... everyone is right on target with their suggestions! The fact is that there is ALOT to DO here in Curaçao in addition to diving of course. SO check out our Curaçao Dive Travel Guide for helpful tips and local advice.

Of course, if you have specific questions - let me know! Send me a PM or email me at bryan@divecuracao.info. Happy to assist in any way we can! Oh... for westside suggestions - check out Exploring the Caribbean Vacation Haven of Curacao | Dive News Curacao

Lastly - do not forget about diving the house reef and the Car Pile at Sunscape. These are both wonderful shore dives with easy access right from the dock! (See Pic attached)

BTW... take time to check out Punda Vibes - Every Thursday Night in downtown Willemstad! More than just a street gathering, Punda Vibes celebrates, every Thursday night, the history and heritage of Willemstad with the help of Curacao’s culture cultivators and locals. The event gives new light to the streets and alleys, promoting a homegrown love and appreciation of the locale’s diversity.

244870284_1573532862998225_7681851892535815737_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom