1st PPD-DM (Dive Marathon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, I have a question related to your Dive Marathon. How do you guys plan your dives? Computers or tables?

indigoscuba:
Guys, I have a question related to your Dive Marathon. How do you guys plan your dives? Computers or tables?
astig mga yan: they use the bahala-na-si-batman method...

Jag

hey indie, we used tables but Spoon consulted Dr. Deco on the board here. We stayed mostly at 30ft. Our deepest was about 85ft but that was the first dive. Our next 3 were between 60ft - 40ft. The next 6 were at strict 30ft.

FWIW, I was reading that it's not wise to use your dive computers to plan your dive - I skimmed through an article by DAN saying that over 90% of reported DCS cases of divers using computers happened within their computer's limits. If I can find it I'll link it for you. I've always been told to use the tables primarily then the computer to back it up.

indigoscuba:

we dont use computers or tables to plan our dives.

No tables? A desk or credenza then?

Here’s my report of our dive marathon last Saturday, 17 dec. 2005.

The weather couldn’t be any gloomier that day. Dark clouds with on and off drizzle. We registered right away the second we arrived in dive and trek and immediately geared up. A bit disappointed to find k****n looking divers who went ahead of us in the water - we feared they’ll scare the turtles and other interesting marine life that can be found only that early.

Dive 1. Saw my first pawikan (owryt!) at last. Spoon said it was one of the bigger ones he has seen :turtle: I wouldn’t know ‘cause it was my first but yeah, it was big. So wanted to dive after it but it was some feet above us so we headed on to the ‘bat cave’ instead. Didn’t fully appreciate the site as I felt strangely dizzy. I remember vaguely seeing the cross and the virgin mary. What was creepy was that I started hearing voices. It said in a very urgent but husky whisper (voldemort-like voice) “iris, bilisan mo… bilis… bilis” over and over again :sprint: Goodness, it knew my name. We headed back without much other excitement except that I felt so nauseous after that dive I almost didn’t want to do the second dive. I felt so bloated with air that would not come out, it made my head hurt so much. The 35 minute rest helped so off we went again.

Dive 2. We hanged suspended at 60ft. Spoon showed us the ledge – a sudden drop in depth to which I could not see the bottom of. Scary but kewl! :boings: My mistake to have inflated my wing so much that during the safety stop, I could not stop from floating up :banghead: thank god for the rope and the guys who helped deflate my seemingly undeflatable wing.

Dive 3. Had plenty of air left so my first time to re-use my tank (naks!). Saw a school of barracudas and lots of clams.

Dive 4. Discovered this narrow passage that led to a dark cave. We got all excited seeing it and wanted to go back with light, rope and camera. We spent our 10min. SI there just wondering and imagining all sort of things that could possibly be inside.

Dive 5. Just a dive back to the resort so we can have our late lunch...

Dive 6. In our excitement to get back to the cave, we missed it. We went farther along than expected and when we surfaced, lo and behold we saw lolo pao’s home resort, portulano :eyemouth: To dive to portulano or not. Not – since our lolo wasn’t there, anyway.

Dive 7. To the cave :luxhello: Finally we saw it and it was guarded by a sponge. Got half scared because it was so dark. We wondered what lurked inside it… sharks… octopus… sea snakes… I was expecting one of those to come out but nothing of the sort happened. Didn’t fully penetrate since we only had one light and no rope with us so we had to content ourselves with taking pictures and the promise to return one day, someday :yl2jump:

Dive 8. This time, it’s just me, chip and spoon. We went to the left of dive and trek and saw nothing interesting. The bottom was full of small rocks and pebbles. But we saw a seahorse-looking creature. Forgot what it’s called. We surfaced where there was surges of waves and I didn’t realize I lost my sta wingnut :crush: When we needed to go down already, I couldn’t reach for my reg and when I looked to see what was the matter, I found my tank was upside down. Chip did the mcgyver thing and fixed it. Saved me again… :D

Dive 9. Had to head back to D&T. We wanted to move farther left but it was getting dark :moon: and it took a while to fix my problem. There was little light under and we had to use eric’s flashlight to guide us back to D&T.

Dive 10. My first night dive :yl2jump: Wanted to explore so I got stung by a sea urchin. Darn, buoyancy (hmmph!) Made the same mistake of overinflating my wing and had the same problem as the second dive. This time there was no rope and I strangled a poor coral just to keep from floating up. Really sorry about this… What was great was that I finally got to see my pets in all their bioluminescent glory - those microalgae that glow everytime I move my hand as if to greet me hello, take me home with you :thumbs-up Maybe next time I’ll bring vials and take water samples back to the lab just to see if I can culture them.

Thanks guys for taking me with you. It was exhausting but I had so much fun, it was definitely worth it… Here’s to more dive marathons to come

Back
Top Bottom