1st Drysuit Dive and My Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that the Jets are similar in weight to the F1's- but the material used in the Jets (pure rubber, basically) make them sink like a rock in the water due to their buoyancy characteristics. The F1's are more positively buoyant and cause my feet to feel and be floaty by comparison to the Jets.

do you have the grey LT version of the F1 by chance? those are monoprene and not rubber. the regular black f1s are rubber and fairly negatively buoyant.

do you have the grey LT version of the F1 by chance? those are monoprene and not rubber. the regular black f1s are rubber and fairly negatively buoyant.
I have the regular black F1's, they are definitely heavy and are negatively buoyant- but not nearly so much as my jet fins.

In looking for SP Jets there's a few differences. I'd really like spring straps and the hole for hanging (I have this on my current fins and it comes in handy).

I'm leaning towards leisurepro because if they're too heavy I'd have 60 days to return and try the F1's. I emailed them, but just curious if anyone knows what to expect in the mail. Some of their pictures have springs, some not. None have the hole. I sent them an email as well. Is there anywhere else that has an exchange / return policy like LP?

Looking for these I think; They look a lot like my current fins, I'm hoping / thinking the learning curve will be pretty small....
Screenshot_20200103-091306_Chrome.jpg

In looking for SP Jets there's a few differences. I'd really like spring straps and the hole for hanging (I have this on my current fins and it comes in handy).

I'm leaning towards leisurepro because if they're too heavy I'd have 60 days to return and try the F1's. I emailed them, but just curious if anyone knows what to expect in the mail. Some of their pictures have springs, some not. None have the hole. I sent them an email as well. Is there anywhere else that has an exchange / return policy like LP?

Looking for these I think; They look a lot like my current fins, I'm hoping / thinking the learning curve will be pretty small....
View attachment 558991

Just to answer my own question, seems SP has made a change in the last year, moving forward all SP Jets with the spring in the heel will have the hole at the end of the blade. Direct from the SP website in the comments section posted by SP (was posted 10 months ago);

"The Jet Fins with the spring heel straps are in the process of a change. Going forward, they will have the hole towards the end of the blade. They are being phased into our stock here in the United States."

I know it's trivial, but I find the hole pretty handy. If they make them this way, that's the way I'd like them...

Just to answer my own question, seems SP has made a change in the last year, moving forward all SP Jets with the spring in the heel will have the hole at the end of the blade. Direct from the SP website in the comments section posted by SP (was posted 10 months ago);

"The Jet Fins with the spring heel straps are in the process of a change. Going forward, they will have the hole towards the end of the blade. They are being phased into our stock here in the United States."

I know it's trivial, but I find the hole pretty handy. If they make them this way, that's the way I'd like them...
I think you should make every attempt to try these before you buy, same with the F1’s, the foot pockets are very different and I found the xxl Hollis unusable because the pocket was to big causing the fin to move on my foot which lost a lot of the power they offer, the next size down preformed better but wouldn’t fit my drysuit foot where (I have size 15 feet), jets are great but be aware if you are used to fins that offer full support they may cause foot cramps until you get used to them, solid sole boots help. Return shipping is very costly.

I think you should make every attempt to try these before you buy, same with the F1’s, the foot pockets are very different and I found the xxl Hollis unusable because the pocket was to big causing the fin to move on my foot which lost a lot of the power they offer, the next size down preformed better but wouldn’t fit my drysuit foot where (I have size 15 feet), jets are great but be aware if you are used to fins that offer full support they may cause foot cramps until you get used to them, solid sole boots help. Return shipping is very costly.

So w/LP I would have to pay return shipping? I've returned stuff before but I can't remember...

So w/LP I would have to pay return shipping? I've returned stuff before but I can't remember...
Sometimes, you’ll need to check with them, they get a deal on shipping that us non businesses don’t and may offer a discount on returns. It’s just something to be awareness of.

I am a little further south but if your fin of choice wet is the Dive Rite XT I do have a set of them in XXL you could try. Dive Rite sizing is a little different, they were too big for me even in drysuit boots.

Sometimes, you’ll need to check with them, they get a deal on shipping that us non businesses don’t and may offer a discount on returns. It’s just something to be awareness of.

Good idea, thanks.

I am a little further south but if your fin of choice wet is the Dive Rite XT I do have a set of them in XXL you could try. Dive Rite sizing is a little different, they were too big for me even in drysuit boots.

What's south? Could be huge difference, lol

Good idea, thanks.

What's south? Could be huge difference, lol
I'm in Northern VA. Loudoun County. Not sure you ever do any diving down this way. When Juturna Springs reopens in Frederick MD I'll be making trips up there. Until then most of my diving is in local (not worth you driving to) quarry and offshore North Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom