1st Drysuit Dive and My Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So I was finally able to sneak in a dive yesterday over the holiday break and try out my new (to me) drysuit. It's a Northern Diver neoprene ds. It has a brass back zip which I found to be a pain but I expected as much after reading a ton.

I did not have any fancy undergarments so I wore a 1 piece rashgard, a fleece pullover, fleece sweat pants, and wool socks pulled over the fleece pants to my upper ankle (to try and hold the pant legs down).

I tried to previously stretch the wrist seals but after yesterday I need to do a little more. They were a huge pain to get my hands through.

The dive itself was uneventful and viz because of the rain was horrible. I could see my fins and that was about it. I went to the platform that sits @ 15' and swam circles around it. But it's ok, I was there to test the ds.

I wore 20#, 16# split between my hips and 4# on the lower cam band. I have Deep6 fins and was pretty light in the foot. I'm not sure what I can do to rectify that, but I'm thinking I'm in for new fins. If I was at a 45 or so it was manageable, but as soon as I went horizontal I could feel my feet wanting to ascend. The 20#'s seemed to be pretty close. I dive a steel bp/w w/32lb wing, and at 500psi I started to feel "floaty", but felt fine up until that point. (I wear 12# in a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit in the same rig)

I found it really interesting adding air to the suit and feeling the warmth spread across my chest. It's not that it was warm, but it was moving the suit away from me and that felt warmer than the water.

Few things I'm not sure what to do. First would be the fins, I was thinking Dive Rite XT's? They seem to be what most use. Any ideas how to get the Deep6 to work? I really like my fins, but I need more weight. 2nd would be it seemed like I went through air faster than if I didn't have a suit. I'm assuming that's because it was my first ds dive and playing around with everything, I really hope that gets better. @ 15' I went through 1000psi in 24 min (only started with 1500psi). I found it pretty hard to manipulate the dump valve under water with 5mm gloves (apeks low profile). I know most just leave it open so I should probably just do that. I also found that the hood would not really seal against the neck. It was cold and if I move my head I could feel cold water move around my neck. The neck seal and the hood do not seem to match well (or I'm doing it wrong, lol).

Do some wear extra weight so they can add more air to the suit for warmth? I can see how that would be beneficial / more comfortable.

Sorry for the long thread, just wanted to get the details down before I forgot. I did not take a class but I did read all I could and practiced a few things in my living room before getting in the water. I stayed dry which was awesome.

Happy New Year!! Appreciate any feedback.

Glad to hear you got it in the water. I use Dive Rite XTs when diving wet, but I felt they were a little light for me in a drysuit so I picked up some Hollis F1s. Haven’t tested them yet. But the Dive Rites are definitely heavier than the Deep 6 Eddys which I also have. Also, I’m using the F1s for doubles, otherwise my XTs would probably be fine for diving dry.

You didn’t die, goal 1 for drysuit!
Try moving the weight from the top band to your waist, it may be all you need to trim out.
Add layers for more warmth, layers will take more air so you will need more weight to loft them, there is a point of no return where extra weight will make you colder because the bubble at the back will pull the front tighter, compressing the undies, think of standing with your back to a camp fire on a really cold night.

Try moving the tank down if it’s to high, it’s all about center of gravity and balance.

For me and most of my diver friends heavy weight wool as a base is the first choice, for me I’ve been using waterproof mesh tec 3D and am really happy with it, it does seem to help keep a good layer if air around me and I didn’t die when my neck seal base separated from my suit letting all of the air escape, I was cold but still did over an hour in 54° water!

Awesome, thanks for responses. Someone else pm'd me about Hollis F1's, good to know about doubles as that's where I'm (hopefully) heading.

The trim was on the bottom cam band as I had somewhat anticipated the lighter Deep6. Rest of the weight was on my waist in ditchable weights on the webbing. Truth be told, the boots on the suit are about a size bigger than I should have got, but what's done is done. Maybe I'll trade them out at some point.

So you use wool as a base, not an aunderarmor type layer?

Yesterday my undergarments were not ideal but I did 25 min in 42f, could have easily gone longer, but tank was running low. I started with a tank 1/2 full that was leftover from my last dive. Really interesting dive, gear wise. Without the floaty feet I'd even stretch it to say pretty comfortable.

Awesome, thanks for responses. Someone else pm'd me about Hollis F1's, good to know about doubles as that's where I'm (hopefully) heading.

The trim was on the bottom cam band as I had somewhat anticipated the lighter Deep6. Rest of the weight was on my waist in ditchable weights on the webbing. Truth be told, the boots on the suit are about a size bigger than I should have got, but what's done is done. Maybe I'll trade them out at some point.

So you use wool as a base, not an aunderarmor type layer?

Yesterday my undergarments were not ideal but I did 25 min in 42f, could have easily gone longer, but tank was running low. I started with a tank 1/2 full that was leftover from my last dive. Really interesting dive, gear wise. Without the floaty feet I'd even stretch it to say pretty comfortable.

Wool is a good insulator, doesn’t stink after repeated use without washing like the polypro. Plus, it breathes. Polypro doesn’t. I’ve been on the boat on a 90 degree day and humid, with the top of my drysuit down between dives. Took top of main undersuit down, leaving me in just my Smart Wool. I was significantly more comfortable than on similar days with a thin polypro layer. I was in the shade.

That’s why I don’t like boots on the suit, easy air traps and hard to get them in size15.

wool is amazing as a base, Marino is a little costly but so worth it, it’s heavier to pack along than synthetics but that isn’t much of a negative.

I'll have to look at the Hollis F1's. I need to get better undergarments, these are just what I had on hand, and they worked ok.

Which is heavier, jets or hollis?

I tried to previously stretch the wrist seals but after yesterday I need to do a little more. They were a huge pain to get my hands through.

I would suggest the use of talc; or, whatever they're currently using as a substitute, if that concerns you (just don't huff it), to ease your hands through the latex wrist and / or neck seals. They can be very easy to tear; and you'll learn that drysuit repairs do not come cheaply . . .

Back
Top Bottom