1mm neoprene in tropical water??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarahbethday

Reaction score
I was wondering if a 1 mm neoprene body suit would be good enough for SCUBA diving in the Caribbean or in Australia? Also, what is a good price for a full 1mm suit? Is $70 reasonable? Thanks!

sarahbethday:
I was wondering if a 1 mm neoprene body suit would be good enough for SCUBA diving in the Caribbean or in Australia? Also, what is a good price for a full 1mm suit? Is $70 reasonable? Thanks!
sarahbethday, it varies so much from person to person there is no way to tell you if a 1mm suit will be enough suit for you. Body design plays a big part in what mm keeps you comfortable. as far as price.. $70 is reasonable.

Most of the folks I dive with wear a 3 mil. I wear a 1 mil but after a few days of diving I'll put on a 3 mil vest over the 1 mil. $70 is a great price for a good 1 mil-M

I have worn 1 mil suits... but have a tendency to get cold after a few dives. I much prefer a 3 mil for myself... but maybe I'm just a wuss...

I've never been too hot in a 3 mil... even when the water temp was in the 80's. And that price is about right... we sell a 1 mil for 69.95 and a 3 mil is 10 bucks more.

Like everyone above stated, it depends on the person. I dive a 0.5mm suit until the mid-late November until late Feb-early March. 3mm suit only comes out in between and for springs, basically mid 70s and up is dive skin territory for me. I may have a bit more natural neoprene than some though... :wink:

I dive in a .5mm skin most of the time with no problem. A few weeks ago I dove in 65 deg F water using a hood with the .5 mm. Pretty much comfortable until I got out of the water. Then I got cold. Wind was blowing.

I wear a 1mil Mares anywhere I dive. If the water is super warm, then it's just for a barrier against accidental brush-ups or coelenterates in the water column. Plus it keeps me from getting fried in the sun in anopen boat.
In southern Florida where I normally dive, once it starts getting a little colder, I wear a 3/2 over it with a hood. On the second dive at night in the winter, I still get cold though.

as a thin(ish) woman I feel the cold.
I used to dive in skin/lycra suits in the tropics. Now as my fat percentage has decreased (through increased scuba diving) I wear a full-body 3mm wetsuit in any water under 29degC.
Darn it - I get cold!

sarahbethday:

We just got back (2 weeks ago) from an 8 day liveaboard on the Great Barrier Reef, and I dove the 1st 2 days with my 3ml full lengh suit, then added a 3ml hood, then by day 4 added a 5ml hooded vest. Everyone on board was complaining about being cold, the water temp was about 76 F. The suits the boat had avalable were 5ml.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom