1987 scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point.
The standards are the recommended guidelines, but not necessarily law, although it'd be a brave man to design a tank outside the scope of the standards!
And as you say, nothing to stop them enforcing their own rules. The standards I read are generally in relation to:

seamless aluminium cylinders having a water capacity exceeding 0.1 kg but not exceeding 130 kg intended for the storage and transport of compressed gasses, and designed for a hydrostatic test pressure of not less than 1.75 MPa

The (Australian) Standards are put together by a panel of experts in their particular field.
Based on my rather basic (undergrad mech. engineering) material science knowledge, I'd place my bets on VERY (basically none) few dive shop proprietors basing their 15yr rule on anything other than hearsay (of course their shop, they can do whatever they like, within the law).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom