1987 scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought Faber only made steel tanks.

I found an aluminum tank listed as a Faber 80cf/ 3000 psi the original hydro is 3/85, the latest 9/02. Is this tank made of the 6351 ?

As noted above Faber did not make Al cylinders. If the word Faber is stamped on the cylinder it is a steel cylinder. If the seller thinks it is an AL cylinder the price might be a steal.

The 'fire hall' goes by inspection stickers......

EDIT: The 'fire hall' I use goes by inspection stickers...

Yes our fire haul does also, however being that I am a PCI inspector I am qaulified to inspect my own tanks and make my own determination as to weather something is safe to fill or not.

after 5 years of fills from me and who knows what the previous owner did there is no sustained load cracking and the tank looks new inside.

The person who is selling them doesn't have a clue if they are al or steel because she said she got them from her uncle a long time ago and she has no clue. So it sounds like the first step would be to talk to a couple local shops first.

Get the tank identification number. If it starts with 3AA it is steel, if it starts with 3AL it is aluminum. There are other possibilities. Get the numbers (or a picture) of the crown of the tank and post it. Someone will know the answer.

Richard

The easiest way of checking tanks tanks for the 6351 alloy "problem" is to simply place a medium to strong magnet against the tank. If the magnet sticks to the tank it is for sure NOT 6351.

If it doesn't stick then you need to do further investigation, like reading manufacturer and "born on" date and checking the DOT listing for those numbers.

Buying from Craigslist is a gamble. Are you willing to take a chance?

On occasion the seller allows me a one week return policy that if the cylinder is condemed I can return for a refund. Most sellers have no clue if it is good or not. I am willing to pay the $25 to have the hydro done and if I can return it I am not out any $$$ just time and miles of travel.

Holding Air means nothing!!

Bought two Voit 72 with air. Both failed hydro.

Last purchase was a package,
Two - OMS45 - Steel w/j valve
Three - PST65 - Steel w/post valves
One - Luxfer 80 - Al w/k valve
One - Luxfer S80 - Al w/k valve
Two - Faber 72 - Steel w/k valve
Two small Oxygen bottles. One with regulator and case.

All for $80.:dropmouth: I didn't even use my refund policy on this one. Paid $80 and ran!:eek:uttahere

One Luxfer failed due to two cracked threads.:shocked2:

$80 + $200 in Hydros = :D

Off to Craigslist I go! Tanks with fresh Hydros For Sale!!

You should have no problem if you go to a progressive dive center that doesn't prescribe to so many of the tank myths that get passed along. Sounds like a good deal, and, you have about $10 each in scrap aluminum value, so your risk is at most $30.

This may be of little use to most people on here, but the same myths circulate around Australia too.

I happen to have access to the Australian Standards database and have spent the last hour reading through various standards (general pressure vessels, testing of pressure vessels and manufacture of pressure vessels).

NOWHERE (that I could see) in there is there any mention of age. These documents outline exactly how the tests (visual, hydrostatic, electrolosys, pneumatic) are to be performed and under what circumstances a 'certified' stamp is to be issued.
It also outlines exactly what the 'tank monkey' should be doing to fill tanks and which tanks are to be filled and how.
At least in the land downunder, anyone refusing to fill a tank which has been tested within the last year is either trying to sell you a fresh tank or believes one of these strange myths. :)

But do remember that there is nothing to stop the shop from making its own rules too, and enforcing them, as long as they are stricter than the DOT ones rather than looser. That is to say, just because the DOT says they can do something doesn't mean they have to.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!
You aren't seriously expecting a tank monkey to actually have a clue here are you.

By law it is the LDS owner's responsibility to both know the law and hazardous materials handling rules (ANY gas over 40.6 psia is hazmat, by definition as published in the Federal Register) and to TRAIN ALL tank handling employees in the same rules. Given that most LDS owners have no clue beyond (generally fictitious) urban legends the average tank monkey has no chance at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom