1987 scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wakeman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have found a possibly good deal on two scuba tanks on craiglist for 25$ each. They are from 1987 but have been kept with air in them. If they look in good condition is there much pottential of them passing the hydro.? Also is there any pottential risks of using a tank this old? Thank you for all the help.

Yes, there is a risk that you will not be able to get them filled or inspected, most notably if they say Luxfur. In general 20 year old aluminum cylinders are being black balled in some markets regardless of condition, make or material. If they require hydro / VIP for use I wouldn't even bother.

Added: They will probably pass all tests and be perfectly safe to dive. That is the folly of it all

Pete

Ok, they arent current on hydro. So it sounds like it would be pointless because it would be hard to get it even hydro'd. Thanks for the help.

If it and aluminum cylinder first do a search on Al6351 cylinders. They can be hydro'd and filled. But the PITA factor is not worth it especially as many shops will not take a chance on filling them.

For Al cylinders look for cylinders made after 1990 as this is the year that dive shops have arbitrarily used for determining whether they will fill a AL cylinder (and also some steel).

Edit - I say arbitrary because there is no basis in fact for this date but as I posted below a date that people can remember.

Last edited:
Catalina never used 6351T-6 alloy so it is amoot point whether or not they were made after 1990.

1990 is also a very arbitary date in terms of alloy, but it is a date many shops use - if so it is a good indicator you need a more intelligent and progressive shop. Luxfer switched production of various sizes of tanks to 6061 alloy over about a 2 year period of time. AL 80's were (I think) switched to 6061 alloy in May of 1988. If you do a seach you will find several posts where a specifc listing of tanks and dates are given.

Maybe I missed something, but where did the OP say that these are AL tanks? Given the price it's likely, but it should be made clear that the issues with the alloy that are being referred to here only apply to AL tanks. Steel tanks that age are fine.

Even if they are AL, you could ask if they're Catalina, if so, then ask around at fill stations where you think you might want to get them filled and ask them if they'll fill Catalinas from 87. I suspect that there are some fill stations where they're smart enough to know that the 6351 alloy was used by Luxfer, not Catalina.

The person who is selling them doesn't have a clue if they are al or steel because she said she got them from her uncle a long time ago and she has no clue. So it sounds like the first step would be to talk to a couple local shops first.

I see you're in Florida??...If so, that state may do you in(if it's Al).....Here in Louisiana, I'm using 2 Al made in '85 & '86---both going very strong being hydro'ed last year & each just vis'ed.......I would check with your 'local' place of air fill & see what they say about the year & make of the tank, it may for you be just an expensive ash tray or door stop, just depends....

Back
Top Bottom