1970's mk2 in din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Joris Vd

If you or your acquaintances read German I would strongly suggest that you obtain Frank's book. As stated it is well illustrated with drawings and photographs of SCUBA Pro regulators and associated parts on a yearly basis.

There is one other individual in Vienna who has a super word class collection of SCUBA Pro regulators. At this point in time I cant recall his name but he has the largest dive shop in Vienna-- amd also German

Good luck and keep posting of your findings

@rhwestfall
You might want to also acquire the above listed book from Frank as a European referenced guide on SCUBA Pro equipment- We. especially Frank put a lot of time and effort into the research and production of the book. It is a reference book that some day will disappear and be impossible to find a copy

SDM
I'm gonna order it one of these days, thanks for the info!

The main difference between 200 bar and 300 bar is the depth of the slot and the length of the thread. Din 200 is less deep. This is to prevent the 2 from mixing.

So you can screw a 300 bar Din into a 200 bar valve, but not vice versa, as it will leak.

The main body of the old MK-2 is very different from the new Mk-2. The old one had male threads and a yoke nut to hold the yoke.

The new ones have female threads in the body and the yoke or DIN retainer screws into the body.

I didn't know they actually ever made DIN fitting for the old MK-2. Or at least, I don't think it was available in the US. In the 70's DIN was not available in the US. I have a letter I sent to Scubapro to see if they had a DIN adapter (it was not called DIN back then) for my Mk-5... they didn't know what I was talking about.

Can you post some pictures of your Mk-2?

Luis, are you still looking for a DIN Adapter for the MKII - MKV?

View attachment 476500 View attachment 476501

So yeah, I went to my local diveshop today to inquire wether the modern din 300 bar would fit the old din mk2 fitting. He did not recognize my regulator as an mk2, since it's a pretty old model. But I'm 100% certain it's an mk2 internally and it used to be sold with the 108hp in Germany for a long time during the 70s.
I dove it a couple of times in winter during shallow dives and really love it(the left one), but currently I only dive 300 bar so i'd love to convert it if possible.

Sadly the fitting is about 1/10th of an inch shorter than the modern version it seems. I cannot find a modern scubapro fitting that could work.

I did however find a previous post from afdivedoc who dives his mk2's and 3's with the sherwood brut/blizzard/oasis din fittings. Apparently it's the same male fitting.
Not sure where I'm gonna find a sherwood dealer in Europe though...

I don't think you will find a 300bar fitting for your Vintage MKIIs.
I think the threads for the 300bar fittings are different than the Vintage MKII fittings.
I was able to put the DIN fitting of an old Sherwood Brut 1st stage on the 1st stage of a MKII and a MK3 of the 1st or second generation, but wouldn't know how that should work on your model.
It works on these 1sts, but I think it's pretty ugly.
There is a 300bar DIN Adapter in the 2018 catalog with a male fitting for the 9000er series of the Brut/Blizzard/Oasis/Magnum.
It's pretty expensive ( ca. 75,-Euros) and I would be surprised if it fits the old MKIIs.
Probably I could order one for you if you want to risk that it doesn't work......
20180927_183031.jpg
20180927_182402.jpg
20180927_183323.jpg
20180927_184248.jpg
20180927_184521.jpg
20180927_184654.jpg
20180927_184837.jpg

Attachments

• SAA9300 300 BAR DIN (9000 Series).docx
    93.5 KB · Views: 75
Luis, are you still looking for a DIN Adapter for the MKII - MKV?

I was referring to a letter that I wrote in 1977. I still have a carbon-copy of it (it was done in a type writer).

Thanks for the offer, but I don’t use DIN fitting much anymore. I use them occasionally, but very rarely.

I also don’t use Mk-5 anymore, either. I have several of them, but I actually use Conshelf 1st stages with 109 2nd stages.

I never actually used the Mk-2, back in the 70's, but I did service many at the dive shop.

Nice collection of 1st stages.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom