1970's mk2 in din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys,

I have an old 1970's mk2 in din 200 bar and was wondering if the modern 300 bar adapter for the mk2 would work on it?

With kind regards,

Joris

The main body of the old MK-2 is very different from the new Mk-2. The old one had male threads and a yoke nut to hold the yoke.

The new ones have female threads in the body and the yoke or DIN retainer screws into the body.

I didn't know they actually ever made DIN fitting for the old MK-2. Or at least, I don't think it was available in the US. In the 70's DIN was not available in the US. I have a letter I sent to Scubapro to see if they had a DIN adapter (it was not called DIN back then) for my Mk-5... they didn't know what I was talking about.

Can you post some pictures of your Mk-2?

@Joris Vd
You are European and inquiring about a European model SCUBA Pro regulator ,
Some of the regulators were the same, some with slight differences ,some unique to the European market place

If you can read German may I suggest that you purchase the following book;

SCUBA Pro
50 Jahre Scubapro
Der Atemreglerhersteller

Frank Werthwein
2013 -275 pages - illustrated drawings and pictures
ISBN 978384823531

(You will note that I am listed in the acknowledgements as a contributor)

I suspect that this book will probably give you the answer to your inquiry -- It is also a book that may be or will shortly become a collectors items due to very informative and now almost historical the content.

Sam Miller, III

@Luis H
You should have a copy of this book ! Even though written in German it is profusely illustrated with pictures and drawings.
Drop an email on me to contact the author Frank Werthwein.

Sam Miller, III

40041053_2163327873944656_1642082609917853696_n.jpg
40102010_240502226663229_8206893375429804032_n.jpg

So yeah, I went to my local diveshop today to inquire wether the modern din 300 bar would fit the old din mk2 fitting. He did not recognize my regulator as an mk2, since it's a pretty old model. But I'm 100% certain it's an mk2 internally and it used to be sold with the 108hp in Germany for a long time during the 70s.
I dove it a couple of times in winter during shallow dives and really love it(the left one), but currently I only dive 300 bar so i'd love to convert it if possible.

Sadly the fitting is about 1/10th of an inch shorter than the modern version it seems. I cannot find a modern scubapro fitting that could work.

I did however find a previous post from afdivedoc who dives his mk2's and 3's with the sherwood brut/blizzard/oasis din fittings. Apparently it's the same male fitting.
Not sure where I'm gonna find a sherwood dealer in Europe though...

I'm thinking they are MK-III. (MK-3).....

No I have several mk3's. The mk2 has a larger piston,

Here, I opened one up to confirm:

40139767_453974945114442_1540535976584019968_n.jpg

@Joris Vd

If you or your acquaintances read German I would strongly suggest that you obtain Frank's book. As stated it is well illustrated with drawings and photographs of SCUBA Pro regulators and associated parts on a yearly basis.

There is one other individual in Vienna who has a super word class collection of SCUBA Pro regulators. At this point in time I cant recall his name but he has the largest dive shop in Vienna-- amd also German

Good luck and keep posting of your findings

@rhwestfall
You might want to also acquire the above listed book from Frank as a European referenced guide on SCUBA Pro equipment- We. especially Frank put a lot of time and effort into the research and production of the book. It is a reference book that some day will disappear and be impossible to find a copy

SDM

regrettably, I don't read/speak German.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom