1962 Voit ad - but that positioning...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt the photographer knew anything at all about diving and just lined up the reg with the mask diagonally so the eye is drawn to the product. We used to call it the rule-of-thirds composition style where an image is divided evenly into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, and the subject of the image is placed at the intersection of those dividing lines, or along one of the lines itself. Very common in photography. My unsolicited 2 psi. M.

P.S. I agree the reg is improperly positioned and it sets a bad example for reg placement.

High Scuba Lawyer,

I'm placing this inquiry to you because of what you appear to be wearing in your profile photo.

I have only ever seen this type of regulator in dive shops used purely for display purposes.

These posts seem to be questioning the position(?) of the regulator in the OP's, very early (1962) illustration.

Hoping you can provide insight. Also, is this type of regulator still being manufactured, seems to me, if the exhaust gas exits behind your head, UW photographers may like this.

Thank you in advance,

Rose.

High Scuba Lawyer,

I'm placing this inquiry to you because of what you appear to be wearing in your profile photo.

I have only ever seen this type of regulator in dive shops used purely for display purposes.

These posts seem to be questioning the position(?) of the regulator in the OP's, very early (1962) illustration.

Hoping you can provide insight. Also, is this type of regulator still being manufactured, seems to me, if the exhaust gas exits behind your head, UW photographers may like this.

Thank you in advance,

Rose.
Rose, both stages in the reg are in the one large unit; the mouthpiece is attached by the two corrugated hoses to that large unit. One hose is air from the unit to the mouthpiece; the other hose is the exhaust going back to the unit. Because the diaphragm that controls the 2nd stage of the reg is behind you, it needs to be at approx the same depth as the mouthpiece, otherwise you have to really suck hard (if the diaphragm is too high) or get a free flow (if the diaphragm is too low). Where the unit is in the picture, it is too high if the diver is swimming horizontally. the correct position is much farther down the back, between the shoulder blades.

High Scuba Lawyer,

Thank you in advance,

Rose.

Hi Rose,

Your post opens up an entire world of debate, discussion and discourse.

Yes, one company that I am aware of is currently making a 21st Century version of the double hose regulator. See my friend Bryan at VintageDoublehose.com The Argonaut Kraken (the one I am wearing in my Avatar pic) also works on HP 3500 psi tanks and is available in yoke and DIN fittings. See photo below.

For buying older rebuilt DH regs see my buddy Rob at TheScubaMuseum.com or the folks at VintageScubaSupply.com

Many of us rebuild various types of old double hose regulators and dive them today. My favorite regulator of all time that I have no problems taking to 100' regularly is my 1958 US Divers Mistral.

As for proper positioning, the cans of the DH reg need to be set as close to your back as possible and ideally positioned low between your shoulder blades. Many folks can address the physics of this but suffice it to say a regulator positioned as high as the one in the Voit ad ain’t gonna breathe very well - kinda like sucking air through a garden hose while sitting a few feet down in a pool. On the other hand. A properly positioned and tuned DH reg (such as my Mistral with a built in venturi assist) will equal or exceed the breathing performance of an Atomic Aquatics titanium at lower tank pressures. Cracking pressure can be as low as 1/2" H20. I have mine tuned so well it literally seems to sense when I want air and gives it to me. I jest in some sense, but that is what it feels like.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many types of old DH regs that breathe like crap no matter what you do to them and how you position them. It takes some research and know-how to learn what’s what. Many photographers use DH regs to keep the bubbles out of the way of the subjects they are filming.

Of course, having initially learned to dive with a DH reg and no BC I am ever so slightly biased. You will get many folks arguing with my position. Guess it is a good thing I don’t care. :)

Hope that answers some of your questions. Below are shameless self-promotion photos.

My 2psi,

Mark

bKGUsD.jpg

Argonaut Kraken

42r8zY.jpg

1958 single stage Mistral

0Ms8kd.jpg

Yours Truly using a 1957 Voit Mariner in a reenactment of the Sea Hunt TV show.

Hi Rose,

Your post opens up an entire world of debate, discussion and discourse.

Yes, one company that I am aware of is currently making a 21st Century version of the double hose regulator. See my friend Bryan at VintageDoublehose.com The Argonaut Kraken (the one I am wearing in my Avatar pic) also works on HP 3500 psi tanks and is available in yoke and DIN fittings. See photo below.

For buying older rebuilt DH regs see my buddy Rob at TheScubaMuseum.com or the folks at VintageScubaSupply.com

Many of us rebuild various types of old double hose regulators and dive them today. My favorite regulator of all time that I have no problems taking to 100' regularly is my 1958 US Divers Mistral.

As for proper positioning, the cans of the DH reg need to be set as close to your back as possible and ideally positioned low between your shoulder blades. Many folks can address the physics of this but suffice it to say a regulator positioned as high as the one in the Voit ad ain’t gonna breathe very well - kinda like sucking air through a garden hose while sitting a few feet down in a pool. On the other hand. A properly positioned and tuned DH reg (such as my Mistral with a built in venturi assist) will equal or exceed the breathing performance of an Atomic Aquatics titanium at lower tank pressures. Cracking pressure can be as low as 1/2" H20. I have mine tuned so well it literally seems to sense when I want air and gives it to me. I jest in some sense, but that is what it feels like.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many types of old DH regs that breathe like crap no matter what you do to them and how you position them. It takes some research and know-how to learn what’s what. Many photographers use DH regs to keep the bubbles out of the way of the subjects they are filming.

Of course, having initially learned to dive with a DH reg and no BC I am ever so slightly biased. You will get many folks arguing with my position. Guess it is a good thing I don’t care. :)

Hope that answers some of your questions. Below are shameless self-promotion photos.

My 2psi,

Mark

View attachment 600930
Argonaut Kraken

42r8zY.jpg

1958 single stage Mistral

0Ms8kd.jpg

Yours Truly using a 1957 Voit Mariner in a reenactment of the Sea Hunt TV show.

Dear Scuba Lawyer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain,

Which one of the photos shows the new reg? The one with the yellow hoses looks like you bought it new yesterday.

Love the photos.

Rose

Rose, both stages in the reg are in the one large unit; the mouthpiece is attached by the two corrugated hoses to that large unit. One hose is air from the unit to the mouthpiece; the other hose is the exhaust going back to the unit. Because the diaphragm that controls the 2nd stage of the reg is behind you, it needs to be at approx the same depth as the mouthpiece, otherwise you have to really suck hard (if the diaphragm is too high) or get a free flow (if the diaphragm is too low). Where the unit is in the picture, it is too high if the diver is swimming horizontally. the correct position is much farther down the back, between the shoulder blades.

tursiops,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

This looks to me like a very good, unencumbered reg system to use on vacation, maybe better for the more shallow reefs.

I find myself somewhat amazed at the appearance.

I'm going to research the sites Scuba Lawyer has suggested.

Thank you again,

Rose.

Dear Scuba Lawyer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain,

Which one of the photos shows the new reg? The one with the yellow hoses looks like you bought it new yesterday.

Love the photos.

Rose

The reg with the red hoses is the modern Argonaut Kraken.

The one with the yellow hoses is the 1958 Mistral which I restored. The hoses and mouthpiece are new. The regulator cans I cleaned up with an ultrasonic cleaner and some elbow grease. That particular regulator only has one o-ring and three moving parts so pretty simple. Parts are still readily available. What many folks do not realize is that a 1959 USD AquaMaster DH regulator first stage uses pretty much the same parts as a modern Conshelf or Titan. The first stage diaphragm and other parts, and the second stage seat, are actually identical and swapable. While the exterior of regs are new and improved every year to foster sales, they still work on the same basic designs. I have many diaphragm and piston single hose regulators from the 1970's that breathe just as well as a 2020 model. Sure, there have been improvement tweaks over the years, but most regs are the same internally as they were 60 years ago. Shhhh...... that's a secret the dive industry does not want you to know...:)

Not trying to talk anyone out of buying a new reg. There are some awesome ones out there!

Mark

@Scuba Lawyer Do you hang out with @seahunter and discuss your vintage gear collections? You know everyone else, I figure you probably know him too, even though he's from Canerduh.

Nice stuff btw......

Thanks. Alec and I are friends. We have been diving together as cast members of the Sea Hunt Forever show on several occasions in Silver Springs, Florida. Last year Alec and his wife Diana stayed at our house in Laguna Beach after spending time with Sam Miller at his home in Pismo Beach. I don't believe every word he says and he likewise. :) Yet we remain friends and dive buddies. Seems like I get an email from Alec at least once a week.

Mark

L --> R ME, JERRY LANG (SeaHuntJerry) and ALEC

mHabUs.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom