1962 Voit ad - but that positioning...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ran across this Voit ad from 1962.
I am surprised the model is shown wearing the regulator so high up on his back. It's neck-high!

Attachments

• 20200728_070058.jpg
    20200728_070058.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 272
I doubt the photographer knew anything at all about diving and just lined up the reg with the mask diagonally so the eye is drawn to the product. We used to call it the rule-of-thirds composition style where an image is divided evenly into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, and the subject of the image is placed at the intersection of those dividing lines, or along one of the lines itself. Very common in photography. My unsolicited 2 psi. M.

P.S. I agree the reg is improperly positioned and it sets a bad example for reg placement.

It is still called the rule of thirds counselor!

Next your gonna tell me The Zone System is still in use. :)

Ran across this Voit ad from 1962.
I am surprised the model is shown wearing the regulator so high up on his back. It's neck-high!
I have a white stang tank with that valve. Unfortunately I gave the old reg to my lds 25 yrs ago - my dad’s old gear.

Next your gonna tell me The Zone System is still in use. :)

Exposure bracketing is indeed used to create HDR photo's in the digital world! But I am betting you already knew that........

@Scuba Lawyer
@HKGuns

Intesting advertisement !

More interesting in that the model was a local OC diver and an an employee of Voit.
At that junction was involved with AMF Voit l knew the model - he was in the OC dive tribe, but with the passage of so many years I cant recall his name of position with Voit.

It was very common in those pioneering days when diving and diving manufacturing was concentrates in SoCal and especially OC to use employees as models in their adverstisemts. It was a small tribe, therefore, we knew each other ;
sometimes very well and other times such as with this gentleman only casual
@old Bubbles thanks for pulling this and other adverstisemts out of SDM amd posting
Brings back many memories... On occasion I have the necessity to review my SDMs -- and nostalgia reins !
Keep up the good work

SDM 111

The legend never fails to disappoint!

Thanks for the interesting facts around that picture. Really starting to wonder if there is anything you don't know!

There are actually a number of things @Sam Miller III does not know. Specifically, things those of us who assisted him for years in teaching his NAUI Advanced classes did not tell him that occurred during the classes out of fear such exploits would earn us a swift kick in the ass and out onto the street. My lips are sealed to this day. :)

I started diving in 1971 with a VOIT DH and tank I bought at a SoCal swap meet. I don’t recall ever giving tank position a second thought. I wish I still had the reg. I never thought about breathing effort in those days at 16yo, guessing I would be unhappy with it today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom