18L Steel Tank - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is just not exactly the same as I would have to own a doubles wing and tanks, which I don't...
Most rec twinsets my diving buddies own have been bought as full sets. Tanks, backplate, wing.

If you need that amount of gas, sell your wing and single to someone who'll be happy with it, and buy a rec twinset with an appropriate wing. You may or might not buy your twinset with a backplate and you may or may not sell your single with a backplate. I'm rather certain that the difference will be rather negligible.

Most rec twinsets my diving buddies own have been bought as full sets. Tanks, backplate, wing.

If you need that amount of gas, sell your wing and single to someone who'll be happy with it, and buy a rec twinset with an appropriate wing. You may or might not buy your twinset with a backplate and you may or may not sell your single with a backplate. I'm rather certain that the difference will be rather negligible.

I am not at this point looking to invest in a doubles set, specially not in the tanks. That was precisely my point. I knew the doubles option is better (better balance and trim, redundancy, etc) from the start. As it is not in the current possible scenarios, I am analyzing the remaining.

You are aware that the size (uplift) of the Wing for a 18l tank has to be the same as for double 8? Both come in at around 23kgs weight (with valves)

I’ve used both 15 ltr steel and 18ltr steel as singles. They both roll on your back and your going to be leg heavy with the 18ltr. I don’t understand your question about safety why do you think an 18ltr would have a safety issue?

I knew the doubles option is better (better balance and trim, redundancy, etc) from the start. As it is not in the current possible scenarios, I am analyzing the remaining.
Ok. Good luck in finding the best of the not-at-all-best options.

If you are set on single tank, why not 12/300 bar, much easier to dive with. I would prefer 12/232 doubles my self. I can understand why not, because it much more expensive option.

You are aware that the size (uplift) of the Wing for a 18l tank has to be the same as for double 8? Both come in at around 23kgs weight (with valves)

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but I did not get the point. :(

I’ve used both 15 ltr steel and 18ltr steel as singles. They both roll on your back and your going to be leg heavy with the 18ltr. I don’t understand your question about safety why do you think an 18ltr would have a safety issue?

I already dove extensively the 15L one and had no issues but the leg heavy comment on the 18L is indeed a problem.

The only safety concern I have with the 18L one is in a wing failure scenario as I will be with a wetsuit. Releasing the belt should do the trick according to my excel simulations but its always good to have a second opinion from more experienced divers.

Ok. Good luck in finding the best of the not-at-all-best options.

That is basically what at least 99% of the world does 99% of the time.

If you are set on single tank, why not 12/300 bar, much easier to dive with. I would prefer 12/232 doubles my self. I can understand why not, because it much more expensive option.

Because the liveaboard boat does not rent 12/300 bar singles .

That is basically what at least 99% of the world does 99% of the time.
I guess I'm not in line with the rest of the world, then. Because I prefer to find the best option, given my conditions. I don't want a not-at-all-best option, I want the best option given my limitations. YMMV, of course.

Sorry but I am losing track of what you want to know @David Novo. Folks gave you their opinions and so did I. Why not try it and see how it goes? You did say that you want to rent it so there is no obligation to own. Make sure your wing can handle it.

Back
Top Bottom