18 hours between last dive and flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
So if you are sitting in the airport boarding area and they call your flight but your computer has not cleared yet, what do you do? Think they will just understand and put you on the next flight. Seems to me that a better plan is in order.

awap - I hope you are just being disingenious because - come on - that is not how you use a computer to define no-fly time.

you know what time your flight is. say 1pm. allow 1 hour safety margin in the miraculous hope they take off early. ok.
so your flight time is 12 noon.

that means that the 24 hour margin is 12 noon the day before.

now the day before:
I wake up at 6am, switch on computer (same one that I have been diving with the last three days). see it say No-Fly=12 hours.
I do a 7am dive, after the dive at 8am, No-Fly=15 hours.

Ok - so there's a 10am dive and a 3pm dive.

Based on previous experience (by closely monitoring my no-fly times over the last few days) I elect to do the 10am dive.

On surfacing I have now racked up No-Fly=18 hours.

18 hours at 11am the day before - no worries.

But, now, my previous experience shows that if I did the 3pm dive and surfaced at 4pm that I would have more than 18 hours No-Fly time. Perhaps it is 21 hours? Perhaps. I dont really know. But even if it was 21 hours - would it be safe? Or does the rule of thumb 18 hours (as suggested previously) apply - in which case I would be fine.

Personally, I would call and not do the 3pm dive. Ok, so I "lose" one dive on my log book and that I have "paid" for. But I would rather that than (a) not go on the flight or (b) go on the flight before fully desaturating.

So, for the afternoon of the day before, I would wash up the gear, pack up my bags, and go sit in the sun with a nice cool lemonade/beer. :wink:

Hey...it only took FedEx 18 days to get my ipod from Burnaby to Richmond...I drove by it twice a day...you can't go wrong using most couriers...if you have any extra money to burn on ridiculous service fees and the like, you MUST choose UPS...let brown do something to you today!

bwerb:
you MUST choose UPS...let brown do something to you today!

Bend over and say HOOOORAHHHHH

Dude...when you are lost in space...lot's of things appear to be off-topic which aren't. When threads degenerate, oftentimes we decide to simply make lemonade...:D

Yup...your entertainment dollars go further here...

detroit diver:
The information is so simple, that your comments above about long days/exhaustion are meaningless. You just have no idea what you are talking about.

Please tell me what happens when your computer malfunctions.

I follow DAN's previous recommendation of a 24 hour desat before flying (which I follow anyway - I don't take any notice of my computers no fly time).

okay the exhaustion comment was for dramatic effect and redunant. The point is that you bang on about not trusting a computer (which are used to peform hundreds of millions of safe dives per year) yet you are willing to trust the word of a couple of guys that display excellent buoyancy control and can fin backwards - great credentials for formulating deco theory.

I will keep diving my computer for shallow, easy dives and tables + v-planner for anything more difficult.

But hey, thinking rationally is not for everyone...

TX101:
yet you are willing to trust the word of a couple of guys that display excellent buoyancy control and can fin backwards - great credentials for formulating deco theory.

But hey, thinking rationally is not for everyone...
d

I can tell you did a great deal of research on decompression theory here... :icorolleye:

I guess all the uneventful 12-18 hour deco dives were just dumb luck. I guess all the doppler tests and medical research etc. was just for show...sigh...

Sounds like you have quite a bit of diving planned on your trip. Why not take the last day and go site seeing, lie on the beach or explore the local bar. Recreational diving is suppose to be just that…. recreation. If you jam diving into every moment of a vacation (especially something you are questioning as dangerous) it becomes more like work. Enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom