18 hours between last dive and flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
Excuse me, but who's leaving the impression? I answered a question, and was slammed because I was trained with an agency that someone obviously despises.

As for your computer/algorithm suggestion, you just don't get it. We DONT USE COMPUTERS. PERIOD. We don't cut tables or charts from computers. We don't deco from computers. We don't watch the bar graphs on the computer. I'll say it again: WE DON'T USE COMPUTERS. (well, actually, I use one to graph my dives for downloading later. But it's kept in guage mode while diving.). That's why TX101 and your comments are just so funny and absurd. You make silly accusations when you have zero knowledge of the facts. And no, you can't read it in a book or other printed media (unless someone from the class has posted it). Even with that, you need to know the parameters in which to use the information.

Believe it or not, it's actually a fairly simple process. Surprisingly so.

2 things...

[1] Your members do cut tables from PDAs (they are computers) - I've seen 'em do it,
and

[2] You (or anyone else) have not discovered some "secret science".

DIR divers do use computers (even if it doesn't include you) - just not in the water (good - I agree and think your better off for doing it that way). What you know can be found in books and your knowledge is neither secret nor is it proven to be more correct than the sum of all knowledge. SHow me just one thing in how you cut tables which is a "secret" that no one else knows or can't be found in other printed media. Sorry to burst your bubble, but DIR is but one small segment of the dive community. One which I entirely respect and think is doing it right in fact, but not without it's own baggage. You make DIR look ugly and are a poster child for the anti-DIR community. You really ought to go off and hide. It would be so much better for the DIR community as a whole.
You are the one who just doesn't get it!

Well, I'm not going to go off and hide, so get used to me.

Please show me a GUE book that has dive/deco tables in it.

Who the heck ever said that DIR discovered a "secret science"? Those are your words, not mine. I never said it was a secret. What I said was that you don't need a computer to do the deco. And you guys went crazy. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? Just because you don't know how to do it doesnt mean that it can't be done. Like I said before, it's a REALLY SIMPLE method. It's no secret. Take the class and you'd be amazed.

As for DIR being a small segment of the community, well that's a brilliant statement. I could have told you that. So what?

jhelmuth:
2 things...

[1] Your members do cut tables from PDAs (they are computers) - I've seen 'em do it,
and

[2] You (or anyone else) have not discovered some "secret science".

DIR divers do use computers (even if it doesn't include you) - just not in the water (good - I agree and think your better off for doing it that way). What you know can be found in books and your knowledge is neither secret nor is it proven to be more correct than the sum of all knowledge. SHow me just one thing in how you cut tables which is a "secret" that no one else knows or can't be found in other printed media. Sorry to burst your bubble, but DIR is but one small segment of the dive community. One which I entirely respect and think is doing it right in fact, but not without it's own baggage. You make DIR look ugly and are a poster child for the anti-DIR community. You really ought to go off and hide. It would be so much better for the DIR community as a whole.
You are the one who just doesn't get it!

awap:
Not really. The basic problem is that our dive computers do not allow you to predict desaturation (and no-fly) times based on planned dives. I'm diving an Oceanic which just gives me 24 hrs - not a lot of help there. Yours does much better than that but still does not tell you the answer until you finish the last dive. My Oceanic also tracks current desaturation status, graphically, but no future status for planning purposes.

I see dive computers like ours as a secondary aid to planning no-fly times as we build expwerience with them but of limited use for the definative answer without leaving a comfortable buffer.

erm - you're gonna send me back to the manual for my computer - because I know with my Uwatec I can "plan" dives as well. I wonder - and I will check - if I can get a comment for the planned no-fly time? hmmm....will get back to you on that.

detroit diver:
Oh no. Another conspiracy theory!

Did you hear the one about the grassy knoll?

Please. Don't use the system that we do. Use your computer. It's okay. Nobody is trying to convert you.

PS. The drug Vioxx was just pulled from the market because it may cause fatal heart conditions. 3 million people in the USA alone were on that drug, 7 million worldwide. It was sold by one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, and approved by the FDA.

Red-herring alert!
DD can't come up with anything better or actually address the real issue. Once again a shining example of what DIR is NOT! Please - if you are not DIR and are turned off by this person, please do not beleive that he represents DIR on this. His opinions, slings, rocks, and stones are his own.

You are a real piece of work.

I told you, please don't follow what we do. Use your damn computer. NO ONE CARES. How much simpler can that be?

I'm not going to respond to any more of your insults.

jhelmuth:
Red-herring alert!
DD can't come up with anything better or actually address the real issue. Once again a shining example of what DIR is NOT! Please - if you are not DIR and are turned off by this person, please do not beleive that he represents DIR on this. His opinions, slings, rocks, and stones are his own.

boomx5:
I forgot....how are you an expert on DIR?

I'm not, and I'm not required to be. While I've adopted some attributes which are DIR, DIR is not a club, it's not a secret and I would defer expertise on DIR only to JJ and GI (also anyone who could show me that they have dedicated their time and life toward DIR and have contributed similarly - I'm sure JJ and George could elaborate on who those people would be, but I can't say) or who they endorse as experts and/or representatives.
DIR is a community of divers who have carefully considered their diving to a very atomic level and have mutually agreed on their tenants for "Doing It Right" (and they've also passed the DIR certifications). DIR does not condone or try to make others out to be idots or to purvey negative attitudes on other divers. I have 3 friends who are part of the DIR community (one who is quite fanatical) and all three think DD needs to go away and not have such an attitude. They feel people like DD are the reason the DIR community is looked on so negatively by non-DIR divers. Because I see both sides, I think it's a shame that DIR takes a hit from other because of a few bad divers in their community. I can't (and won't) speak for JJ, but I think he'd like to see DD's attitude change so that more people will embrace the real attitude of the DIR way to dive (and I think that's where I'll ultimately end up in diving as I progress). There are alot of positives that people can get from DIR, and I for one will always remain friends with my DIR buddies. They don't dive with me (not as a buddy anyway), but I understand their reasoning and it's not taken in a negative way. We still can go out and dive the same ocean, have a beer, talk diving, etc.

PS - Why challenge me on if I am a DIR expert or not? Does it matter? What qualifies one as an expert (to you)? What qualifies one as a "real" expert (you know - what certification or education formally conveys such a title)?

I am the greatest Diver in the world! And with 25 dives under my belt will take on all challengers! :joke:

You all kill me, in a good way though. I love reading all the DIR battles
:blah: :m16:

You can get some good info if you just read and stay out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom