18 hours between last dive and flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkndivebum:
What makes you think that GUE's DecoPlanner is DIR ??????

It penalizes you for using high He mixes in the 130' range.

It doesn't give proper credit for deep stops.

It is old style Haldanian model rather than RGBM.

It penalizes you when planning dives at altitude, although there are reports that GUE instructors teach that altitude corrections are unecessary (ref: recent Rec Triox trip report on TDS).

jhelmuth:
PS - Why challenge me on if I am a DIR expert or not? Does it matter? What qualifies one as an expert (to you)? What qualifies one as a "real" expert (you know - what certification or education formally conveys such a title)?

I challenge you because for someone who says they are not an expert on DIR you sure have a lot to say about it. Now, I am in no position to pass judgement on what constitutes an "expert" on DIR, however I do know a few GUE instructors and as far as I'm concerned they are Doing It Right.

boomx5:
It's amazing how some of these programs will make you do almost twice the deco when planning a dive at altitude.
What's really amazing is:

GUE instructor: no additional deco needed
Decoplanner, Haldane, Cross: additional deco needed
RGBM: even more deco needed.

I guess RGBM theory is all messed up according to the GUE/DIR guys.

My Vyper goes into a 24 hr no-fly after one dive - so it wouldn't be much good to work out if 18 hours is safe enough. Using the tables suggested in the first few posts would presumambly be far more accurate.

Charlie99:
What's really amazing is:

GUE instructor: no additional deco needed
Decoplanner, Haldane, Cross: additional deco needed
RGBM: even more deco needed.

I guess RGBM theory is all messed up according to the GUE/DIR guys.

Let's not open this can of worms again. You only have part of the story here and your not about to get it all. Oh, and I was in both of the classes by the way.

boomx5:
I challenge you because for someone who says they are not an expert on DIR you sure have a lot to say about it. Now, I am in no position to pass judgement on what constitutes an "expert" on DIR, however I do know a few GUE instructors and as far as I'm concerned they are Doing It Right.

OK. I thank you for not passing judgement. I spoke the truth - I'm not DIR. I know some of it because I have DIR diving friends and we talk about it (they want me to become DIR and feel I have the right attitude and skills). I love DIR - I don't hate it. But I am probably too passionate when I see guys like DD go off and make statements that are skewed, come off as holier-than-thou, and do not give way to the fact that there are millions of non-DIR divers who do use computers and are safe in doing so. They are types that have no intention to learn - or, if they were required to would likely be in serious trouble within a weeks worth of diving (maybe sooner, and some would have the good sense to not dive at all).
I apologize for being too passionate about keeping DIR from being associated with stuff like this. I hope all will accept my apologies. I even extend that to DD and hope he will understand why I think it's importantfor him to make his point without giving other divers the continued impression that DIR equates to a Nazi-like attitude. THat's just wrong and it should stop ASAP.

jhelmuth:
I apologize for being too passionate about keeping DIR from being associated with stuff like this. I hope all will accept my apologies. I even extend that to DD and hope he will understand why I think it's importantfor him to make his point without giving other divers the continued impression that DIR equates to a Nazi-like attitude. THat's just wrong and it should stop ASAP.

No problem...I understand. Sometimes these arguments get heated and because it's only the internet it's easier to let your emotions take control; I think we're all guilty of it. Anyway,I would encourage you take your friends advise and jump in a fundamentals class. Even if you don't adopt all of the things you learn, there still may be some things you could gain from taking it. :)

Charlie99:
What makes you think that GUE's DecoPlanner is DIR ??????

Sigh. Perhaps it's this quote from that web page that led me to that conculsion:

Jarrod Jablonski relies on DecoPlanner's deep stop and revolutionary gradient factor calculations to modify all his decompressions, including the world record 18,000' penetration in Wakulla Springs (300+ feet at 300 min bottom time). Team members during Britannic 99 relied on DecoPlanner to calculate repetitive 400' diving profiles over the course of ten arduous diving days. DecoPlanner's gradient factor method ensured reliable safety factors for all team members. DecoPlanner enjoys several unique benefits over conventional decompression programs.

Charlie99:
It penalizes you for using high He mixes in the 130' range.

It doesn't give proper credit for deep stops.

It is old style Haldanian model rather than RGBM.

It penalizes you when planning dives at altitude, although there are reports that GUE instructors teach that altitude corrections are unecessary (ref: recent Rec Triox trip report on TDS).

True enough, but It's not my intention to start a debate on the merits (or lack
thereof) of what DecoPlanner and DPlan do. What I was attempting to
point out is that it's a tool that's advertised as being used by people I
assume to be DIR types (the name Jablonski rings a bell there...)

This whole discussion is off-topic anyway.

:eek:fftopic:

To get back to the original question -

TravelDave:
[...]We would like to dive the day before, and that would leave us approximately 18 hours. That may be pushing it, since we will be diving for 4 days. Our thought is to push the more aggressive dive schedule (afternoon shore dives and a night dive) early in the trip and try to dive less frequently and more conservatively towards the end of the trip.[...]

That sounds like a rational course; personally, I'd try to find a way to have
a 24 hour surface interval before flying.

gkndivebum:
Sigh. Perhaps it's this quote from that web page that led me to that conculsion:

Jarrod Jablonski relies on DecoPlanner's deep stop and revolutionary gradient factor calculations to modify all his decompressions, including the world record 18,000' penetration in Wakulla Springs (300+ feet at 300 min bottom time). Team members during Britannic 99 relied on DecoPlanner to calculate repetitive 400' diving profiles over the course of ten arduous diving days. DecoPlanner's gradient factor method ensured reliable safety factors for all team members. DecoPlanner enjoys several unique benefits over conventional decompression programs.

True enough, but It's not my intention to start a debate on the merits (or lack
thereof) of what DecoPlanner and DPlan do. What I was attempting to
point out is that it's a tool that's advertised as being used by people I
assume to be DIR types (the name Jablonski rings a bell there...)

man, thats funny..

Back
Top Bottom