18 hour wait before flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One point to consider: the possibility, although small, that a sudden loss of cabin pressure at flight level would turn a serious event into a major life threat for the one passenger with a nitrogen load.

Why risk it? Take a boat to home and enjoy . :)

If you were flying back from say Cayman or Cozumel and depressurized I'd bet that more than half the plane would queep.

To a crude approximation, the NDL limit on your computer is loaded primarily by fast tissues at depth and by slow tissues in shallow water. This means that if you want to dive, then fly, it is better to do a short, deep dive prior to flying than a long, shallow dive (assuming that you stay in NDL in both cases) as the fast tissues will off-gas faster (by definition), leading you to eliminate N2 more rapidly.

I don't necessarily advocate deep, or shallow dives prior to flying. I am pointing out that many think that a shallow dive is safer than a deep dive (given the same degree of N2 loading) - this is not the case.

I've flown 10 hours after multiple no deco dives and had no problems but bearing in mind the forum we're posting in, I think the DAN recommendation of 12 hours after a single dive and 18 after multiple dives is good, 24 if you want to be sure

You're right. I've been through three plane crashes and zero depressurizations.

Don't take this personally, but I'm never going to fly with you. :D

Terry

Some dive computers give You both a 24hours count down timer and a Desaturation timer.
As someone said already earlier, it depends on the profile of the dives you did.
Just keep in mind that the slowest compartment has an half time of 635 minutes.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Some dive computers give You both a 24hours count down timer and a Desaturation timer.
As someone said already earlier, it depends on the profile of the dives you did.
Just keep in mind that the slowest compartment has an half time of 635 minutes.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Could you relate this to the question at hand?

Back
Top Bottom