15L steel tanks in Red Sea? Working pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going on a liveaboard on Red Sea in two weeks. We have choice of 12L AL tanks or 15L Steel tanks. Can't seem to confirm what the working pressure of the steel tanks is.

My understanding is that if it's a low pressure tank it holds essentially same gas supply as a 12L tank at 3000psi.

Thoughts?

Going on a liveaboard on Red Sea in two weeks. We have choice of 12L AL tanks or 15L Steel tanks. Can't seem to confirm what the working pressure of the steel tanks is.

My understanding is that if it's a low pressure tank it holds essentially same gas supply as a 12L tank at 3000psi.

Thoughts?

LP95s (2640psi) and 119s (3442psi) are both 15L cylinders. While I don't know what they will be filled to in the Red Sea, hopefully that will give you an indication of size and volume at pressure.

I believe most cylinders in the European region are rated to either 232bar (~3400psi) and 300bar (~4400psi). If these were the "low" pressure cylinders you would basically have a 119 on your back. :)

Eurocylinder states that their 15L cylinder is 8" in diameter and just over 25" tall, so if you are familiar with Worthington 119s and 130s, it is almost exactly between the two in height. I don't have the slightest idea what sort of cylinders they use out in the Red Sea, but hopefully something similar.

edit: 12L cylinder at 3000psi = ~88cf.

Thoughts?

The working pressure will most likely be 200 bar for both, giving you 2400 liters in the 12 liter tank and 3000 liters in the 15 liter tank. The 12 liter aluminum tank is essentially the same as an Al 80. (actually I think they are Al 80's, so closer to 11 liters - didn't check the markings last time I was there)

A 15 liter steel tank is sweet to dive in the Red sea; it will considerably reduce the lead from your belt, with a bit of reserve gas.

I won't do the conversions to imperial; they're easy enough to google and it's time you folks learn the metric system anyway, it's not the 19th century anymore. :eyebrow:

//LN

RJP,

I am not a tank techie, but I have recently returned from a Red Sea Liveaboard and busy packing for the next one (10-17 April, Emperor Superior).

I am not sure how you equate with the cubic feet and psi's, however if the norm is anything to go by, then 15L tank will provide you with about 20% more air/nitrox.

I use the 15L (Steel) tanks because my wife and I have severely differing SAC rates. Anyway, on the dives I have done in the Red Sea, the tanks are usually filled to approximately 210 Bar, no matter if they are 12L or 15L.

If you need any more info let me know.

Best Regards
Richard

PS: When/Where are you going ?

I was avoiding any significant reference to the imperial/metric thing, however, now that Laurin has opened the door ....

I imagine I would find it difficult to dive Bar in a PSI world. I guess it is the same the other way around.

Would any of the experienced members recommend the "on the fly conversions" in a foreign environment or the "get a temporary different SPG" approach?

Just a thought.

Regards
Richard

I was avoiding any significant reference to the imperial/metric thing, however, now that Laurin has opened the door ....

I imagine I would find it difficult to dive Bar in a PSI world. I guess it is the same the other way around.

Would any of the experienced members recommend the "on the fly conversions" in a foreign environment or the "get a temporary different SPG" approach?

Was on a liveaboard in Truk a few weeks ago and there was a few european divers as well. The first night one of the European guys was checking his gear and asked about the fill pressure, to which the mate told him "we fill to 3000psi."

You could tell the European guy didn't want to appear dumb, so he didn't ask...

I said to him jokingly "Hey, they filled your tank with PSI, you better have them drain it and refill it with BAR."

I found out later that he actually DID ask to have the PSI drained out and have the tank refilled with BAR.

Oooh boy...that's when I knew it was gonna be a long week!

:D

PS: When/Where are you going ?

I'll be on the Superior or the Infinity two weeks after you. (We have both boats booked for a large trip with our LDS - not sure exactly which boat I'll be on.)

Nice.

We were booked on Elite to do South & St Johns, but due to lack of bookings I switched boats so they could cancel the other trip.

No reason to convert - just dive your own SPG/computer since that's what you'r used to. May require a bit of discussion with DM or an insta-buddy to make sure everyone is on the same page vis-a-vis turn pressures, etc. But I think that is preferable to me looking at a "temporary" SPG while at 100ft and seeing 150 on it and thinking "Oh crap - 150PSI, I'm dead!"

:D

I found out later that he actually DID ask to have the PSI drained out and have the tank refilled with BAR.

Oooh boy...that's when I knew it was gonna be a long week!

:shocked2: :shocked2:

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom