15 minute Float - COMPLETED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluesky65RS

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I completed my 15 minute float last night. But here is the question. Why the last two minutes with our hands out of the water? I can float forever but as soon as my hands leave the water it is a struggle no matter what position I put them in. I made it the two minutes with little trouble but just trying to picture what it simulates and didn't think to ask my instructor at the time. I was just happy to have it done.

Can you think of a situation where your hands might not be available? Such as holding something or injured? It is also a stamina situation.

It's a stamina test, holding your hands out of the water increases the amount of work you need to do. IMHO, it's also a chance to score a five(there is no score of 4) rather easily that doesn't depend on your swimming ability in case you get a 2 on something like the 400m test (which doesn't have any exemptions for swimming aids). During a rescue your ability to use your hands will also be compromised since you'll be supporting the person's head and doing rescue breaths.

Okay, that makes sense. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but i did struggle a bit with my hands out. Any suggestions on how to better deal with my hands not available?

I couldn't do the 2 minutes hands out. I think I'm what they call a "sinker"--perhaps more negatively buoyant than normal. I did the float OK, though I needed arms to keep the legs from shooting directly down fast--fresh water. Since, my instructor has shown me the "egg beater" kick, which I could do to some degree. With continued running my legs will EVENTUALLY hold me up with hands out so I can get the 5. I, too,somewhat question the hands out thing. I do agree that it is a stamina thing, which is probably good, whether you're very negatively buoyant or not (I still can't finish the 400, as I spend as much energy keeping afloat as moving forward, but continual arm strengthening should help me get it done). I do believe, however that it would be extremely unlikely that you would ever find yourself in a situation where you had to do this....without fins, mask and snorkle, which is about the 3rd thing you learn in Rescue course--to always put these on. Also doubt you would be needing to swim without these items anytime you were diving. But if anyone can give exact scenarios where you would need these skills I'd honestly like to hear them. As I said, these may be excellent stamina tests, and I have a lot to improve on to meet the standards, but to say these are necessary skills for anywhere near likely (dive) situations is stretching it, I think. For practicality, it may be a better choice for these tests to extend the really necessary skills, making them harder (longer)--the 100 meter push, the 800 mask, fin & snorkel, and even the float without hands out to say, a half hour. I guess you could conceivably be in a position where the boat sinks and anything that floats (including all dive gear) has sunk, so you had to float. In salt water, that's a piece of cake. Some LDSs do these in the ocean, some in lakes, some in pools (lots of turns on the swims in a pool). Just some thoughts.

Okay, that makes sense. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but i did struggle a bit with my hands out. Any suggestions on how to better deal with my hands not available?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you're rescuing someone the action of finning them towards a boat/shore will keep you up, as will your exposure protection. The five is really there so you have a shot at getting a score of 12. If you do your IDC/IE, you'll need to repeat all these again.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you're rescuing someone the action of finning them towards a boat/shore will keep you up, as will your exposure protection. The five is really there so you have a shot at getting a score of 12. If you do your IDC/IE, you'll need to repeat all these again.

During the IDC the following are required:

- Successfully complete the Skill Circuit/Evaluation with 68 points in total, no skill scored lower than a 3. (Skills must be performed to "demonstration quality".)
- 800 yard/meter mask/fin/snorkel swim.
- Successfully complete the Diver Rescue Scenario.

No re-do of the 15 minute tread at the IDC or the IE.

Pax,

Joe, Nah, not yet. I'm not close to getting the 400 done, so I'm not going to waste my Instructor's time with extra pool trips until I can knock them all off, which may be months. On the other hand, there's no divemastering to be had here in NS now until April-May, so I'm in no rush-lots of time to improve. The rest of the course is going well, and I did real well on the equip. exchange, have only some of the skills to polish up a bit, and FIGURE to ace the 8 tests this weekend (If not, there's something wrong with me after 7.5 months of studying...).

...but just trying to picture what it simulates and didn't think to ask my instructor at the time.

It's in case you get pulled over by the scuba police and have to put your hands on your head during the in-water strip search. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom