120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC:
That works great, until one of your deco regs craps out and you have to use another one or one of them falls off during the dive.

Lost reg @ 150 feet, grope around, no bumps, must be the back gas...

You guys are killen me.. literaly. :)

I guess i'll just be SOL the day one of the regs gives up, my sidemounts are torn off, the coverings are ripped off the second stages along with the zip ties, I lose both my masks and the lights go out. Now that I cannot I even recognise that I have different second stages on the sidemounts... I hope my buddy can read the MODs on the bottles but if his dive is going anywhere near as bad as mine...

It's another redundancy. If I'm narked and questioning myself I have an added reassurance. Don't rely on zip ties alone! (There, I said it)

I have to remove foot from my mouth (this little piggy was cherry-flavored, this little piggy was mint...). In retrospect, it WAS funny. Just to make things clear, I have no intention on using mouthpiece taste as THE way to tell them apart. Only IN ADDITION to visual inspection and everything else.

Brightly colored labels on the hoses may be handy too.

This would be my own suggestion also. The longer you dive the longer your tank will last.

DTB1981:
Water Dawg I talked to to C for over an hour and got some real good advice on equipment and tech diving. And she had me get the DIR book there is alot of good info in it. And she told me what gear I will need to get into the class
I will have to replace almost every thing but the regs and wet suits

This is good news. Thats how I started, by talking to C and training w/ Gary. I found that the stuff I learned there has carried over to cave diving and other diving I have done. Yup I had to sell my Zeagle and Air2, thats why I tell folks to do PB/W from the start. Your in good hands.

mello-yellow:
I have to remove foot from my mouth (this little piggy was cherry-flavored, this little piggy was mint...). In retrospect, it WAS funny. Just to make things clear, I have no intention on using mouthpiece taste as THE way to tell them apart. Only IN ADDITION to visual inspection and everything else.

Brightly colored labels on the hoses may be handy too.
A few years ago, I spend several months attempting to research the causes of death for a pretty long list of tech divers. Most were shrouded in denial or butt covering in some fashion, but quite a few were "wrong gas" problems. There were more than enough of those to convince me that gas identification should never be left to something that can be easily changed. Oxtox often takes no prisoners.

If two of the "secondary" methods of gas identification disagree, I would have to check the MOD on the cylinder anyway, so I choose to not use flavors, colors, or zipties and only trust the MOD marking.

Don,

Makes great sense, and I think its critical that all Deco/Stage bottles should have their MOD in large, easy to read lettering. I was somewhat dismayed to see that IANTD's MOD marking was the smallest lettering on the identification sticker. I know GUE Specifies 3" or 4" lettering on both sides of the bottle with MOD only (honestly it's all you really care about anyway). I do not know how other agencies identify their bottles, but am trying to find out. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear it.

Don Burke:
A few years ago, I spend several months attempting to research the causes of death for a pretty long list of tech divers. Most were shrouded in denial or butt covering in some fashion, but quite a few were "wrong gas" problems.

Could or would you provide the source of this information? I am very interested.

Rec Diver:
Could or would you provide the source of this information? I am very interested.
That was back in the days of the old techdiver list and I have been through several hard drives since.

The data is probably a portion of a manhole cover somewhere by now.

Lists of dead divers abound on the internet. Finding one should not be difficult.

I just found 2 used 120's for $400, That may be a better way to go with my experance. This why I will have a buddy with the same set up.

as long as he has DIN regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom