120 with pony VS Dual alum 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981:
I just found 2 used 120's for $400, That may be a better way to go with my experance. This why I will have a buddy with the same set up.
You may find that a 120 will give you all the bottom time you can deal with and will make a second tank unnecessary.

jonnythan:
Are those HP120s or LP120s?

They are HP 120's

And If my buddy has one too I dont think I will need a pony

I was thinking about the DIN reg thing too, I guess I can just convert two regs that I have.

DTB1981:
They are HP 120's

And If my buddy has one too I dont think I will need a pony
I agree.

Since it sounds like you have a regular buddy, I highly recommend that you guys keep in constant communication and actually go in the water to practice OOA scenarios and ascents frequently.

As you do, you will realize that pony bottles are totally unnecessary.

jonnythan:
As you do, you will realize that pony bottles are totally unnecessary.
After wading through the huge pile in this thread I have come to following conclusion. Correct me if I am wrong.
1. If I sling it and it contains a mix greater than my MOD it is a deco bottle
2. if it has bottom mix and is part of my gas management plan it is a stage bottle
3. if it contains bottom gas but is not part of the gas management plan it is a bailout bottle
4. if I call any of these a pony bottle it will kill me :wink:

wedivebc:
After wading through the huge pile in this thread I have come to following conclusion. Correct me if I am wrong.
1. If I sling it and it contains a mix greater than my MOD it is a deco bottle
2. if it has bottom mix and is part of my gas management plan it is a stage bottle
3. if it contains bottom gas but is not part of the gas management plan it is a bailout bottle
4. if I call any of these a pony bottle it will kill me :wink:
Nice troll, Dave. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

jonnythan:
Nice troll, Dave. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.
No troll I am just pointing out that this seems to be a lot of arguing about semantics

wedivebc:
No troll I am just pointing out that this seems to be a lot of arguing about semantics
No one in this thread said that anything will kill you.

A deco bottle, a stage bottle, and a bailout bottle (most commonly referred to as a pony bottle) are three very different things... and, in fact, any one of them can kill you..

DTB1981:
I am looking to get some longer bottom time and want to know the pros/cons of going with a HP steel 120 with 30 pony VS going to doublel alum 80’s. As far a price goes they will be close. I don’t want to go as far as getting a new BC or Back plate wing. I want to try and do it with mostly the gear that I have. I dive in a tropical climate and wear a 2mm sortie wet suit or a 3/2 mm full and 90% of my dives are from the shore so weight matters. I have two BC’s a Tusa Imprex Pro 3D and an older Sherwood Outback, The Outback can be set up for duel tanks with out any modifications. I have three sets of regs so there are no problems there. Except they are all yoke and at least one will need to be converted to DIN. So what the would be the big differences between the two I will be running 150 to 160 CF both ways and can ad a extra pony to either one for a deco bottle.

Thanks in advance
Derrick
120's are great if your tall if your avg. in height it may beat you up a bit. If your not moving around much it's ok, I.E. sightseeing. Working or shooting fish it may clunk around and beat you up a bit. I found the 95's to be the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom