11 nights in Bali...looking for suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slee416

Reaction score
Wife and I will be in Bali from Sep 18 thru Sep 29. We're spending the first 4 nights in Tulamben, hopefully improving my underwater photo skills and her buoyency control. The remaining 7 nights of our schedule is wide open with 6 full days of possible diving. I've done some research here and learned about the many different sites as well as some operators but there's so many options it's become a logistical nitemare (it's actually affecting my work...but i didn't say that :wink: )

Basically I'm looking for suggestions on the best (i.e. most sensible) way to fill out our trip. Places of interest include Menjangan and sites around Nusa Penida and maybe Gili Selang and Gili Tepekong. I was thinking going out to Menjangan straight from Tulamben but then I'm lost as to where to go next. Candidasa? Sanur? My preference is to move hotels and stay close to where I'll be diving as opposed to doing the day trip.

I feel like the trek out to Menjangan is what's making the planning difficult, but I feel like it'll be worth it. I'd prefer to maximize the diving at a particular location rather than spread ourselves thin, but obviously I don't want to spend more time than I need at the expense of trying somewhere new.

One last thing...I think there's a full moon on Sep 29 and I'm not sure how that'll affect our ability to dive some of the sites on the east side. Would I be better of diving the east side right after Tulamben and then doing Menjangan towards the end?

Can anyone offer me the "perfect" itinerary?

If you're into muck diving check out Secret Bay (Gillimanuk) on the west tip of Bali. Some very interesting creatures. I dove there a couple of days with Aqua Marine last year.

In Tulamben make sure you do at least one early morning dive on the Liberty ship. About 50 4-6 foot long bumphead parrotfish school at the back end (looking toward the wreck from shore, the right most portion) of the wreck. But you have to be the first on the wreck, usually around 6 a.m. or at first light. As soon as the first group of divers goes through, they scatter. Incredible sight.

Candidasa has some good drift dives and sharks, but that means a lot of current. If your wife doesn't have much experience with current, I'd advise getting in more dives in those conditions before trying Candidasa. The full moon usually means bigger tide swings, and more current.

September is mola-mola (giant sunfish) season in the southeast part of the island (just off the smaller island, forgot the name) and people come from all over the world just to see them. The water is a bit cooler there though b/c there are upwellings from the deep blue.

You will have a great time. Make sure to post a trip report/pics when you get back!

(just off the smaller island, forgot the name)

The smaller island is Nusa Penida.

marpacifica:
Make sure to post a trip report/pics when you get back!

I'll try my best. Using strobe for the first time, so we'll see how it goes. In the meantime there's a great report being posted in the Underwater photography section from Lukerob.

My biggest question -- if i go to menjangan, how many days/dives should i spend there?

Menjangan -- if the visibility is good, you can spend a few days there exploring the sights. Nice corals and lots of schools of anthiases and small fish, which attract big fish.

Unfortunately when I went there last xmas the vis was only about 15 feet/5 meters. Saw lots of fish but would have loved to see them in clearer water. We ended up doing only two dives there and then headed to Tulamben for the remainder of the trip.

There really aren't too many places to stay near Menjangan (but I've wimped out in my middle age; you may think the small resort near there is fine for your taste). Most people stay in Lovina and do a day trip there.

Are you bringing your own gear? I would highly recommend that. Most rental gear I saw in Bali was tired-looking and not well maintained.

Yep, enjoyed the trip report/pics form LukeRob. If you get a shot of the molamola, though, that would be really nice to share here.

I haven't been there since Christmas '99. I got a villa at the Mimpi resort for $100 a night and wallowed in luxury, including a private garden, small pond, and a hot tub fed by a natural spring. I had good visibility, and got pretty good pictures. The dive operation was well run. Obviously, a lot has probably changed since I've been there, but I'd check out that resort.

the small island is called Nusa Lembongan. I was there last october and I saw mola-molas on two separate dives. viz was amazing, a dizzying 30-40m on some sites. there are about 5 or more dive centres on the island (which is about 1.5 hours boat ride away from bali).

when you are in tulamben, try to make it to Gili Selang. unbelievable pristine coral! when you get deeper there are big white tips too. It is an exposed dive site so currents can be strong (some operators limit this to very experienced divers only). If no one from tulamben goes to selang, stay a night at Amed for the shore dives and the wall. the operators from amed go to selang.

Hello!

There are several new sites in Bali that have only been recently "discovered":

- Seraya (near Tulamben) .... it is said to be better than Secret Bay.
- Allamanda (near Tulamben) .... 10 pregnant pygmy seahorses on one fan sighted last weekend
- Puri Jati... not sure where this is geographically, but it's up north. A COLONY of mimic octopus sighted.

Personal favorites:
- Kubu (near Tulamben) .... I love the corals!!
- Manta point (Penida)... there really are mantas there!!
- Crystal Bay (Nusa Penida) ... mola mola galore & 50-metre viz!
- SS Liberty wreck... I'll never get bored of this site, so many things to see.

I dived with www.baliscuba.com. Fantastic guides and well-maintained equipment. I'd highly recommend them.

:)

neve:
Hello!

There are several new sites in Bali that have only been recently "discovered":

- Seraya (near Tulamben) .... it is said to be better than Secret Bay.
- Allamanda (near Tulamben) .... 10 pregnant pygmy seahorses on one fan sighted last weekend
- Puri Jati... not sure where this is geographically, but it's up north. A COLONY of mimic octopus sighted.
- Kubu (near Tulamben) .... I love the corals!!

:)

A colony of mimic octopus ? Some details ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom