11 AUG 2004: Newport Area Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIDIVER501

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok. I picked the site this past week. Some one else suggest a good site for this coming week.
But we should stick with the 7ish meet at the site to get rocking thing.

So let start planning

Ill be in Montreal until early Wed. if I am back in time I will definetly meet you anywhere in the newport area.
But out of curiousity, John how is Ft. Adams at night?

FT A is pretty good provided you time the tide right so that you aren't doing a night/drift dive. Vis is usually ok. but it is New England. last week was pretty nice all around but the vis at Ft A was 18 inches.

RIDIVER501:
Ok. I picked the site this past week. Some one else suggest a good site for this coming week.
But we should stick with the 7ish meet at the site to get rocking thing.

So let start planning
What do you think about Beavertail? I'd like to try a night dive there.

v_1matst:
What do you think about Beavertail? I'd like to try a night dive there.

Count me in!

I have done night dives at Lot 2 and Lot 3 at Beavertail. Both good dives as long as the seas are favorable. I think lot 3 is the more interesting spot of the 2. There is a gang from CT on scubaboard that does night dives there all the time.

Another possibility for a night dive is Bass Rock Road (aka 530 Ocean Rd in Narragansett). It is a much easier entry than the other Ocean Rd sites.

RIDIVER501:
I am up for either of those I need direction to the Narragansett one.

FYI- Whether we end up diving there or not....

To get to Bass Rock Rd. If you are coming through Narrgansett going past the town beach and Pier 5 on Ocean Rd (aka Route 1A) south toward point Judith and Scarborough Beach.... once you pass Pier 5 the road takes a couple of bends after the second bend look out on your left, you will see that there are stone walls along the side of the road. At one of the breaks in the wall there is a small rd marked Bass Rock Rd. Go down that and there is a small public access point to the shoreline.

The site has a little hike down a goat trail to a rocky beach and cove. If you enter here you can swim out of the cove and dive along the rock wall to the north, or head south and dive over a nice sandy bottom with huge kelp laiden boulders strewn all over it. The dive is pretty shallow, 15-30 ft range. But the nice hard sandy bottom usually keeps the vis nice since it doesn't get kicked up much.

Chris thanks for all the info on the ocean rd. site. During the summer I live right near Scarborough Beach, but I never go diving in Gansett because I am usually diving closer to NDC.

skywalk234:
Chris thanks for all the info on the ocean rd. site. During the summer I live right near Scarborough Beach, but I never go diving in Gansett because I am usually diving closer to NDC.

I live right over in Wakefield so any time you want to try that site let me know.

I will. If we don't go there on Wed. I definetley will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom