11/28/2015 - Blue Heron Bridge Turkey Dive and Party!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting my certification this weekend! So excited! I definitely would like to go and meet the locals. :) Although, I'm a vegetarian so I guess I could bring some vegetable or bean casserole or something like that. I might even have all my own gear by then. :D
There likely will be at least 1 more vegetarian in attendance and I understand she makes a waaay good Pad Thai!! Count us in(diveDiva and jimw)bringing mac and cheese.

I'm glad to see this tradition coming back. Put me down for stuffing
Hey DennisS,
Honestly, I think Jenny did a great job of carrying on when KBeck and I were out-of-towners in the past. She traveled a long way to keep things going... But...

Mmmmm... stuffing... :eyebrow:

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2015 at 09:11 PM ----------

I'm getting my certification this weekend! So excited! I definitely would like to go and meet the locals. :) Although, I'm a vegetarian so I guess I could bring some vegetable or bean casserole or something like that. I might even have all my own gear by then.

:D
seeker, don't "definitely would like to meet..." Definitely "meet!" We make no special accords for veterinarians unless fish is on the menu :)

New divers, and those who want to grow their knowledge and skills through diving with experienced (even at the bridge) divers are always more than welcome!

I used to explain to my students that my entire job, as their instructor, was to teach them "How not to kill yourself when diving", and it was their job to learn how to become a better diver by diving with better divers...

The depths at BHB are absolutely perfect for learning buoyancy and trim... Diving with experienced divers there will teach you how to keep visibility at every depth... Come and join us!

Veggie or bean casserole is always popular for this event... (Mur is even more popular...)

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2015 at 09:17 PM ----------

There likely will be at least 1 more vegetarian in attendance and I understand she makes a waaay good Pad Thai!! Count us in(diveDiva and jimw)bringing mac and cheese.

Hey Jim,
Mouth watering for Pad Thai... Honestly, I do not remember ever meeting diveDiva... I am looking forward to this year's event and getting back in touch with a good many divers I have missed in the past few years!

Since this is a Scubaboard.com event, I will attempt to procure some SB bumper stickers from Pete for those who would like them... On top of that... If Pura Vida Divers and Force-E would like to provide some bumper stickers, that would be great...

The list so far
Attendees and Items:
(But please don't limit yourself. It's time to crack into grandpa's secret [-]stash[/-]... uh, grandma's secret family recipes!)

Pulled pork (CoolTech & KBeck)
Carry somebody else's crap from the car (but not too much) and claim that it is his contribution! (MB - Local Dive Sherpa)
Bunch of different pies, pumpkin, dutch apple, and maybe another one full of calories
(butterfb)Veggie or bean casserole (seeker242)
Stuffing (DennisS)
Waaay good Pad Thai!! (diveDiva & jimw)

Check your calendars and make your plans!

Recently spotted at the bridge"

20150905-P9051441.jpg

The list so far
Attendees and Items:
(But please don't limit yourself. It's time to crack into grandpa's secret stash... uh, grandma's secret family recipes!)

Pulled pork (CoolTech & KBeck)
Carry somebody else's crap from the car (but not too much) and claim that it is his contribution! (MB - Local Dive Sherpa)
Bunch of different pies, pumpkin, dutch apple, and maybe another one full of calories
Stuffing (DennisS)

---------- Post added October 25th, 2015 at 07:45 PM ----------

I know this has been lagging, but by next week, this thread will be at the top of Florida Dive thread until we get together... I just wanted it out there for those who need to plan Waaaayyyy in advance!

Here are some pics from a recent dive...

20151024-PA241832.jpg

20151024-PA241839.jpg

20151024-PA241844.jpg

... like, yesterday!

I did a lot of soul searching for ways to cook turkey this year and decided that infrared is the new way to go.

While the cook time is still in the 9-10 minute range vs. oil at 3-5 minutes per pound...

I feel the "non-flare up", "oil heat and cool down" as well as the "oil degradation/throw-away", all lead me to think overall the Char-Broil Big Easy TRU Infrared Smoker, Roaster, and Grill is the better choice for cooking turkey this year!

I can cook a 12- 14 lbs. turkey in approx. 90 minutes with flavor injection and external rub... flavor and moisture included...

---------- Post added November 1st, 2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

The list so far (based on the update above)
Attendees and Items:
(But please don't limit yourself. It's time to crack into grandpa's secret stash... uh, grandma's secret family recipes!)

Turkey and cooker (CoolTech & KBeck)
Stuffing (DennisS)

We could enjoy another turkey to cook with the current supplies.

We are now in "Post everyday mode" for the event!

In the past we have more than 100 show up for the event. It is fun for the entire family and a great way to meet people you have spoken with, but never met!

MB:
Add to my contribution: Left over Halloween candy that kids from the past three years have rejected.
... and you thought this improved your contribution in what way? :)

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 07:30 AM ----------

Well, turkey will not be fried this year. Instead, the turkey(s) will be cooked via infrared cooker...

The Big Easy® Smoker Roaster & Grill | Char-Broil®

I'll be practicing with it this weekend... Who's hungry?

So my vegan girlfriend balked at me when I asked her to go with me. Oh well, I guess she'll be spending the day by herself. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom