100,000 FF miles, where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i sincerely think you should consider the cenotes.

then you would have enough miles to take a good cabana boy with you.
and i might be available.

No question, go to the south pacific; Yap, Palau, or Fiji and definitely go business class. You'll be on that plane a long time. In addition to more space, the food will be better.

Justcame back from a trip to Aus on points.

An option that was available to me that I didn't know about until later - when I decided I had to go back!! Is to get a charter to Hawii - which can be had really cheap from here anyway and is only a 5 hr flight for me. Then get the business class from Hawaii to Australia. Would have saved a bunch of points if I had known and were able to book. Does not look like you have that option with Contenental and the flight to Hawaii may be longer from your neck of the woods so you may want to be Business class all the way.

We did Vancouver - SanFrancisco - Sydney all business class. The flight from Vancouver to SF was a one class plane we got to sit in the first couple of rows Yippee!! The flight from SF to Sydney was a 3 class plane and Business class was excellent and very long. Worth spending the points, not worth going to first class.

Virtually every flight into Sydney arrives first thing in the morning - the airport is closed overnight and reopens at 6:00AM - 747 after 747 stacked up ready to land at 6:01.

The trip back, stopped in Hawii for a few days to "rest" before coming home. Was such a good idea. The thought of going back to work the day after flying from Aus is not a good one. This was a two class plane and nowhere near as nice as the Business class on the 3 class plane.

The down side to points to Australia - at least here - is that there are limited seats for travelling on points. I booked 12 months in advance and still could not get exactly what I wanted. I transferred my Amex points to Aeroplan instead of Contenental, which may not be an option in the US. 115,000 points rather than 150,000 for the business class seat.

Use your miles to get to Montego Bay or Grand Cayman and then take a hop to Cuba. It's done more than most know, both airports have travel agents that specialize in trips to Cuba right there. Talk to your LDS, I'm sure they will know someone who has gone. Out here in SoCal it's common to go through Mexico. Just an idea, have fun.

Getting out of the harness:

1. Make sure it's not too tight in the shoulders. Mine was, just a little.

2. Make sure you have the rig supported on something so that you can slide DOWN out of it.

3. Disconnect everything. Grab the chest D rings and pull them vigorously outward.

4. Carefully slide your left arm out until you have the valve clear.

5. Now grab your primary second stage and pull it to the right, so you have that right strap pulled as far outward as it will physically go. At this point, you can either chicken-wing your right arm through or slide down and out. Most of the time, I chicken-wing.

If this helps, do I get the Australia tickets?

Oh geez. I have the BP/W packed in my bag for a boat dive in Florida on Saturday. My plane leaves in a few hours. If the boat has cupholders for tanks, I can definitely hook it and slide out. But I can just see some extremely young DM with the DAN O2 kit running to help the middle aged woman who has slid out of her BC to the deck of the boat. Biting lip..maybe I need more practice.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions everyone. I'm taking them all to heart.

Sorry, TSandM, I don't have any tickets yet. :)

diveborg:
No question, go to the south pacific; Yap, Palau, or Fiji and definitely go business class. You'll be on that plane a long time. In addition to more space, the food will be better.
Totally concur. If you have that many miles and the time AND haven't dove the tropical Pacific then that's the place to go.
Luke

redhatmama:
Oh geez. I have the BP/W packed in my bag for a boat dive in Florida on Saturday. My plane leaves in a few hours. If the boat has cupholders for tanks, I can definitely hook it and slide out. But I can just see some extremely young DM with the DAN O2 kit running to help the middle aged woman who has slid out of her BC to the deck of the boat. Biting lip..maybe I need more practice.
Wasn't this just in a recent episode of "Desperate Divewives"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom