100,000 FF miles, where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 104,000 Amex points that I can transfer to either Delta or Continental. How can I best use these for a great trip to a diving location? I've already dived Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, Bahamas. I'm looking for something different that is a destination for Continental or Delta. Any ideas?

Edit: I forgot the Virgins - BVI, St. Croix, St. Thomas/John. Already been there too. Cost of lodging is not a big issue.

Thanks!

Grand Cayman or Aruba? Bonaire would be my choice though. Continental flies there, but it's a LONG flight from Houston and a red-eye (overnight flight)

I really like Aruba, but you can find better diving at other places, though it's not bad there. Grand Caymen isn't exactly cheap to stay there (or eat there).

St Thomas has daily Delta flights from Atlanta. St Thomas isn't that great but you can take a ferry ride to St John or Totola and stay there (would be my suggestion).

Can you get to Palau with that many miles? Continental flys in and out of some south pacific areas. Also, how about Australia?

You can get to Australia on Continental's frequent flyer partners (we just did). We had a FABULOUS time there, both on land and underwater. If you haven't read my writeup of the diving, check out http://www.tsandm.com/diving byron bay.htm

On second thought, send me the FF miles. I'll make good use of them, I promise :)

Let's see here... you can fly Continental to Cleveland and dive Lake Erie; they also fly to Truk. Tough call.

Umm, Tom, that is a tough call. But since I don't have a drysuit, Truk sounds a bit warmer. Lynne, I might trade some miles if you'll help me fiigure out how to get OUT of my BP/W!! :) Your Australia report was a joy to read.

I love all the ideas so far. I called Continental the other day and they kept telling me that I don't have enough miles and I tried to tell her that I could have them if she would only tell me about some destinations, but she wasn't very forthcoming.

Thanks for all the ideas! :)

deltachart.jpg

It looks like you have a lot of options... Are you traveling alone? If so... do the business class... It's well worth the extra miles. or you could just burn the miles to the south pacific.

We have a lot of miles on United... Like 400k between my wife and myself... We're thinking of S. Pacific.

Thanks, Howarde! The chart is very helpful and now I need to do more research. No, I'm not traveling alone. My husband has about 70,000 points he can transfer and we have miles in our Delta and Continental accounts too. We have 4 or 5 airline miles accounts with a smatterling of miles in each one.

You have a good point about Business Class. We traveled economy to Bonaire on AA and my back was in spasms by the time we got there. Couldn't move my legs in the tiny seats. First class to Hawaii doesn't sound bad either. :)

Well... Having flown business class (upgrade using miles) and First class (same thing upgrade using miles) I would definitely recommend the business class on a 3 class plane. The first class on a 3 class plane is a little more than anyone would really "need". On business class, you can almost fully recline, it's like a la-z-boy recliner, with footrest and all. First class (on a 3 class plane) you can fully flatten it into a bed, that just seems like a waste of miles, when it costs so much more in miles.

Personally, I think business class on a 3 class plane is better than first class on a regular 2 class plane.

They give you meals, free cocktails, and wine too. It's sweet.

Enjoy!

For something different (remote) you might consider the Coco Islands (Costa Rica / Central America) or Galapagos (Ecuador / Northern South America). Looks like you'd have to enough points for two, based on the chart howarde posted.

Back
Top Bottom