10 LB Challenge #4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Cool! Enjoy the moment & keep up the momentum!

I lost 5# (finally) during the challenge even though I was not taking part. I'm within 2# of my lowest weight in 15 years, and have gotten my bodyfat below 20%. I love the motivation from this board! Hearing the success stories and seeing the support from everyone for those having their challenges is amazing. Thanks to all of you for making my journey a bit easier. :wave-smil

Scuba_Jenny:
Well, this is extremly frustrating! I am up about a half pound, but still down 6.5 for the challenge, and 2.5 from goal. Dang! I should have reached it a long time ago!!!
My guess would be the weight loss method.... I know you said you were doing some fasting. That's why I was surprised when you lost 7# in the first week of the challenge. Gotta be careful with doing something like that because the body is extremely sensitive to perceived famine periods and will dial the metabolism way back to cut back on caloric expenditures. The result is often something very different than what was hoped for and the body can set it self back up for quick weight gains to buffer itself against "future famines".

I'd highly recommend looking at a site like www.fitday.com where you can track caloric income and expenditures.... bottom line... long-term healthy weight loss occurs when you're burning more than you're taking in....

You've done a great job of keeping the walking and other exercise going... I encourage you to continue... then by tracking calories, just slowly ease back to run a small deficit... then you're body is less likely to go into "preservation" mode.

Just my 2 cents to everyone in general... I think it would be more effective instead of running 10# challenges, to run Body fat % (BF%) challenges. That way you can work on toning and muscularity, which are healthier and increase the metabolism, yet still shed the fat pounds and find the "more shapely and sexy" you!! :) BF% challenges will also be less likely to be effected by unhealthy changes in hydration or other methods (like high school wrestlers that used to spit their way down to the weight bracket they wanted), but rather help focus on the effects that help reduce actual clothes sizes.

Okay... off my soapbox.... alrighty.... back to your regularly scheduled challenge!! Good luck everyone and be healthy!

bob

wb416:
I'd highly recommend looking at a site like www.fitday.com where you can track caloric income and expenditures.... bottom line... long-term healthy weight loss occurs when you're burning more than you're taking in....

Another website that is, I'm assume, similar is sparkpeople.com. It's probably been mention before by some one, if not me. I can't remember....
I have an account there to track calories, water intake and exercise. They also have support forums, information articles, recipes, etc. One of the things I like is been able to enter my own recipes and it will calculate the nutritional information. It will also tell you target ranges for your daily intake of calories, carbs, fat, and protein based on your weight loss goals.

You're right Bob, fasting is a tough and perhaps not the healthiest way to do lose weight. FWIW, there were some other things tucked in with the fast (personal), but after the 5 days, I did not feel as good as I did last year when I did it. I may have to re-evualate the fasting for next year.
And I agree with the "famine" thing that the body does. I think that is what is happening right now, that is why it is so difficult losing this last bit. I need to fool the ole bod into it somehow.
The good news is that I am down 50lbs in a year, and am eating so much more healthy and feel so much better than I have in a long time. It took over 12 years to put the weight on, and am so happy it is gone! Whoo Hoo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom