10/21 9am Reef Medic Training mm 95 bayside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the word from the NOAA. Note that size is limited. It's a snorkel (but I'm bringing tanks anyway lol... there has to be some diving right there!).

Note seating is limited so PLEASE only let me know you can go for sure. We need to get names in asap - no guarantees, either, as space is filling, but I'll let you know.

Here's the last e-mail, so advise asap:

Mike-
We will start at 9:00 in our office at MM 95.2 on the bayside (reef sanctuary office). We'll do a couple of hours in the classroom and then head over to the boat(s). We will supply lunch (from a local deli) but I would advise bringing some drinks for the boat. Also, you will need snorkel gear. That should be about it-we were trying to keep the group size limited, but we'll see if you get anybody else. Let me know as soon as you can.
Thanks, Amy

I took a day off yesterday to join a NOAA crew that fixes reefs in the Keys for training.

The reef medic program is a volunteer group under NOAA that "fixes" crushed reef in the Keys and occasionally up the coast.

The training went through spotting & reporting damage, how areas are identified and described, and then we learned how to make repairs with epoxy or cement.

After a great lunch, they took us out to one of the latest "hit & run" sites for a little OJT ("on the job training) where we all had a chance to mix "balls" of cement, transport them, and then replace damaged coral.

After the gear was carried back to the cars and the boat was hosed down, we had a little graduation ceremony with certificates, hats & t-shirts attesting to our reef medic training.

I'm looking forward to assisting a "real" reef repair.

Diving from a NOAA boat requires NOAA certification, which they describe as a bit short of becoming certified to be an astronaut... any NOAA instructors around Lauderdale by the Sea?

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
I took a day off yesterday to join a NOAA crew that fixes reefs in the Keys for training.

Diving from a NOAA boat requires NOAA certification, which they describe as a bit short of becoming certified to be an astronaut... any NOAA instructors around Lauderdale by the Sea?

NOAA runs a few classes every year to train its divers. They do one class in Key West and one in Seattle. The divers are from various NOAA organizations and occasionally outside agencies. The classes fill up pretty quick with NOAAs needs first, followed by other agencies. The civilian card they give you is NAUI Master Diver, but a NAUI card doesn't count towards diving off of NOAA vessels, ya need the NOAA cert-or an exception, very few and far between.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom