1 tank over within 36 minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neverland

Registered
Reaction score
Dear All,

I'm a beginner scuba diver had only a few dives behind me around 20meters deep. My problem is that my full tank was enough only for 36 minutes, but for all the others the air was enough for about 1 hour. Can you help me to say why can this happen?

Many tks for the reply

Dear All,

I'm a beginner scuba diver had only a few dives behind me around 20meters deep. My problem is that my full tank was enough only for 36 minutes, but for all the others the air was enough for about 1 hour. Can you help me to say why can this happen?

Many tks for the reply

This is pretty normal for a new diver. A lot of it also depends on your build type, large or small, in shape or out of shape, etc. People with larger frames, biger lung volumes tend to use lots of air. This isn't always a hard rule, I know people much larger than me who are better or worse on air consumption.

Your air consumption will gradually improve as you gain more experience and become more comfortable in the water.

One thing is to make sure you're properly weighted, this will keep you for having to constantly add air to your BC. Also if you're over-weighted you be constantly swimming/kicking which will cause you to use more air. Try to remain neutral, if you have to constantly kick to stay off the bottom, add a bit more air to your BC.

There are many reasons why you wold go through your air faster than others. Some of the previous posters have suggested some. Someone with good knowledge would have to see you diving to see what your specific problem is. The most important thing is to try to be as relaxed as possible. Think of fish hanging out nearly motionless in an aquarium, and try to be like them.

My first OW dive after cert I sucked down an AL80 in 30 minutes at 30 ft. Now, that same tank would last almost 2 hours.

Give it time and experience. Think about the things you are doing that increase consumption and work on not doing them.

Relax and enjoy.

New divers are often concerned that they breathe through the air in their tank faster than other divers. There are a lot of reasons that is true. Variations among divers in gender, body size, body type, activity in the water, and experience as a diver all impact air consumption rates. Most divers wonder if they will ever improve on air consumption rate. The fact is, nearly all divers do, but some people, by reason of their body size, particularly lung capacity, will breathe through their air faster than others, no matter how experienced they are. Not everyone uses up their air at the same rate. You can, through good diving practices, reduce your air consumption. Here are some tips to help you do that and increase your bottom time.

1) Check your weighting. If you go through air faster than everyone else, there is a real good chance you are over-weighted or under-weighted. Properly weighted, you will exert less effort during a dive, you will maintain neutral buoyancy with less adjustment of air in and out of your bcd or wing, and you will use less air.
2) Trim your buoyancy often through adding or venting air from your bcd or wing. I often observe other divers and see that they cannot hover. To remain at a certain depth, they are kicking or moving their arms to maintain that depth. Those movements burn air. Maintain neutral buoyancy and you will use a lot less air. Remember that variations in depth during a dive will cause the air in your bcd or wing to compress or expand, impacting buoyancy. If you are overweighted then the effect is more pronounced. Once you are properly weighted, still trim your buoyancy often.
3) Move less. You will move less if you are properly weighted and trim your buoyancy often. But you will still burn air if you are swimming from place to place and back again, chasing fish you will never catch, or lagging behind the group and speeding to catch up. Don’t be in constant motion. The less you move, the more you will see, and the less air you will breathe.
4) Monitor your depth regularly. Even depth variations of a couple of meters can impact air consumption substantially. Dive planning involves planning a profile concerning depth and time at depth. Often divers are distracted by something they see and do not pay attention to their depth. Whether due to distraction or poor buoyancy control, descending deeper than planned will cause more rapid air depletion. Monitor your depth and maintain the planned profile.
5) Stay (or move to) a few meters above the rest of the group. If during a dive you notice that you are going through air quicker than the others on the dive, consider ascending a couple of meters. As noted above, it can make a measurable difference in your air consumption.
If you will do these five things, I am sure that you will improve your air consumption rate. You may even notice a dramatic improvement.
DivemasterDennis

Dear All,

Many tks for your fast reply. Some of the people said I breath like on the country too fast. Then I tried to breath slowly and to keep the air in me for a while but it didn't work.
For the weights I think I get 5kg /I'm 164cm and 54kg.
And yes it is true that I'm overexcited when I go into the wather but as I arrive into the deep I feel ok.

Thank you for saying it is normal for a beginner you know I just feel so uncomfortable as I'm always the first in the team who has to come up.

What Macado said

Try not to over think it, be as smooth in the water as possible by following DMDennis' tips.

Its not the worst air usage I've heared of. If you feel you are going to progress your diver education, and you've not specified your diving institute, I only know Padi at the moment and I would recommend their peak performance buoyancy course for adressing all things trim, weighting,buoyancy control and positioning in the water.

Keep at it, Practice

---------- Post added December 11th, 2012 at 04:29 PM ----------

Dear All,

Many tks for your fast reply. Some of the people said I breath like on the country too fast. Then I tried to breath slowly and to keep the air in me for a while but it didn't work.
For the weights I think I get 5kg /I'm 164cm and 54kg.
And yes it is true that I'm overexcited when I go into the wather but as I arrive into the deep I feel ok.

Thank you for saying it is normal for a beginner you know I just feel so uncomfortable as I'm always the first in the team who has to come up.

Do you know the details of your exposure suit etc. That would help others kelp you.

Dear All,

Yes thank you I will try following 5 great tips from Dennis and the tips from all of you. yep padi has a course for every problem tho, tks!

Many of us have been there. I am a large framed diver and have seen my sac improve a great deal of the last several hundred dives. There is hope for you and it really is as simple as what has been said here. Just remember that sometimes, experienced or inexperienced, some people just go through more air. If you are the last on the boat or the first on the boat need not worry you. Just enjoy the dive while you are there.

Back
Top Bottom