1 month in Indonesia (open to other Asia suggestions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Bangka for 6 days in late Aug 2017. Maybe it was the time of year, but there were not many fish, and the wind/waves on the East side of the islands got pretty bad. Unfortunately, that's also where the best diving was. A lot of nice coral pinnacles and a good
mix of macro / wide.

Also, the shoreline near Pulisan beach, (north edge of Sulawesi directly south of Bangka) had a hydrothermal vent divesite and some scenic walls. Again, not much fish.

The rest of the Bangka area wasn't too impressive IMHO. It costs quite a bit more to dive there vs. Lembeh or Bunaken. I was with Nomad divers. Very rustic mom-n-pop operation with only 2-4 people diving most times.

Going with NAD in Lembeh, I want to give them a try after 3x at Two Fish, my favorite guide there moved to another resort and the food at NAD should be really good. Then I'm going with Bastianos at Bangka.

Please post how it was at NAD. I'm kind of curious if it's worth the much higher prices vs Two Fish.

Please post how it was at NAD. I'm kind of curious if it's worth the much higher prices vs Two Fish.

I will. NAD does have a 2-1 ratio versus 4-1 at Two Fish, I only can dive during low season so the last time I was at Two Fish it was mostly just me and my guide, occasionally there was another diver with us.
The food at Two Fish can be a little meh, it's food and fills my belly but I can afford better.

I will. NAD does have a 2-1 ratio versus 4-1 at Two Fish, I only can dive during low season so the last time I was at Two Fish it was mostly just me and my guide, occasionally there was another diver with us.
The food at Two Fish can be a little meh, it's food and fills my belly but I can afford better.

Right on. I was at TF last 2 years ago and they drastically improved the food. I was pretty content considering the $ savings vs. NAD. But I'd be willing to pay for significantly better diving or guides, so I'm curious how they measure up.

I was in Bangka for 6 days in late Aug 2017. Maybe it was the time of year, but there were not many fish, and the wind/waves on the East side of the islands got pretty bad. Unfortunately, that's also where the best diving was. A lot of nice coral pinnacles and a good
mix of macro / wide.

Also, the shoreline near Pulisan beach, (north edge of Sulawesi directly south of Bangka) had a hydrothermal vent divesite and some scenic walls. Again, not much fish.

The rest of the Bangka area wasn't too impressive IMHO. It costs quite a bit more to dive there vs. Lembeh or Bunaken. I was with Nomad divers. Very rustic mom-n-pop operation with only 2-4 people diving most times.

Weather wasn't in your favour apparently.

Current at Sahaung brings plenty of fish but then visability may suffer a bit. I've even seen very large humphead parrotfish there.

I just love that site because you can dive it at least a half dozen different ways and see things differently. Sleeping sharks (trying to sleep, lol), large barracuda, swirling schools of fish, sunflower cup corals opening in the current, octopus hunting on the wall, Pontohi seahorses, the magnificent formation that looks like ancient ruins, oh my . . .

Going with NAD in Lembeh, I want to give them a try after 3x at Two Fish, my favorite guide there moved to another resort and the food at NAD should be really good. Then I'm going with Bastianos at Bangka.

Really looking for a reliable review of Bastianos Bangka

Weathercwadnt in your favour apparently.

Current at Saha7ng brings plenty of fish but then visability may suffer a bit. I've even seen very large humphead parrotfish there.

I just love that site because you can dive it at least a half dozen different ways and see things differently. Sleeping sharks (trying to sleep, lol), large barracuda, swirling schools of fish, sunflower cup corals opening in the current, octopus hunting on the wall, Pontohi seahorses, the magnificent formation that looks like ancient ruins, oh my . . .

But don't tell anyone, because then I can have it all to myself.

I have never been there in August. Only in January, February and March. My second trip there, the weather had been very bad and viz was terrible. I didn't see much either though, if memory serves, that was when I finally saw the dugong.

Really looking for a reliable review of Bastianos Bangka
I hope it goes well, and I think I'm pretty fair in my reviews. I'm not super picky but pretty well traveled and for me the quality for what you pay is a large factor.
I really hope I enjoy Bangka , it will be nice to shoot some wide angle after Lembeh but I read that they do have some nice macro.

Weather wasn't in your favour apparently.

Current at Sahaung brings plenty of fish but then visability may suffer a bit. I've even seen very large humphead parrotfish there.

That may be the case. The folks at Two Fish where I spent the other week that time, said it was unusually rainy and windy for August.
We did notice a lot fewer of various animals out in general, and water temperatures were higher.

At Bangka, I saw plenty of good macro, but zero big fish (except some snappers), and Talisei was totally dead. The weather was mostly ok in my time there, just strong winds/waves. Out of curisity, I later looked up dive photos of Bangka on google and flicker, I don't think any are out there with big fish, most people just post reefs and small/medium macro.

Maybe it's you who got incredibly lucky and what I saw was more the norm :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom