1 day of cenote diving - which to pick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Cancun in Aug and want to spend one day diving the cenotes.

What are the best cenotes I should dive on that day?

Also, there are snorkelers traveling with me. Should I have them do their own touron that day or should I pick cenotes (which ones) that people can both enjoy both snorkeling and diving? It'd be nice (and probably cheaper) for the snorkelers to stick with us but I don't want to reduce the diver's fun to do it.

Thanks.

I just got back from Coz. I dove Dos Ojos. I dont know anything about the rest, they could be better or worse.

I thought Dos Ojos was pretty spectacular. We were the first group there in the AM (myself a guide and one other guy)

FWIW I went with Ricardo from Dive Choice Mexico scuba diving Cozumel from divers for divers .. He was recommended to me, and I have no problem recommending him to someone else.

I think he will guide in other Cenotes also but he likes to use Dos Ojos for first timers. I dont regret diving this one.

Jeff

+1 for dos ojos.

Dos Ojos was my favorite cavern tour, but Grand Cenote is another fabulous cavern dive that is also a lovely place for snorkelers and swimmers. They aren't too far apart; it would be possible to do one dive at one site and another at the other.

Have you decided upon your cavern guide already?

Dos Ojos for sure. Best adventure from beginning to end. Just remember to tell them the water temperature will be less than Carribbean.

Dos Ojos is great for snorkeling. Been meaning to take a cavern class so I can dive it! In fact we are going again to snorkel next week!

I agree with TSandM -
Dos Ojos is nice for both and can get a little crowded for snorklers (according to my wife) and does have an area with hamocks but Grand is good for snorklers and great for divers...
Dos Ojos has 2 lines for 2 different dives but given the option and only 1 day - I would try to do Grand only or both - 1 tank each

Either way you will enjoy and really can't go wrong

Have Fun

Dos Ojos was my first and got me hooked, good for divers and snorkelers - but it can get very busy. Grand Cenote is generally less crowded and is laid out really well for snorkelers too. Temple of Doom is quite close to Grand Cenote so you could drop the snorkelers @ Grand, head back to Temple, do that first and Grand 2nd. El Eden (Ponderosa) is another single site cenote that's good for snorkelers and you can get two cavern dives in there as well. El Eden had the most dramatic haloclines I've experienced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom