(06 JUL 05) Fatality off Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
For example, someone mentioned that she had her mask off and was panicking. I don't think it's that much of a leap to say, "you should be comfortable without a mask insofar as you aren't going to panic if it's off". It was also mentioned that she panicked and her buddy tried to assist but was unable to and ascended. Is it too much speculation to say, "Everyone should take a rescue class and make sure they actually learn enough to assist someone that is panicking".

No ... that's not too much to say.

But, that's not what was said ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's too bad an incident like this is what introduces all of us. I wish the ugly side of diving didn't show up. To all her friends and family, I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Has anyone figured out the outfit she was diving with? Was it through the hotel they honeymooned at?

(PS - Dynamike is a fantastic operation. As well, the people there are equally wonderful. I think that angle in this thread is WAY off balance to the intent of what he posted. I believe he was simply being honest to what he sees on a regular basis, not attempting to offend anyone. If you were to know Mike, you'd know there's not a cruel bone in his body - just a crude, but great, sense of humor. If you feel the need to personally attack him, please start a new thread so this one can be dedicated to the memory of a diver.)

cornfed:
The problem, Bob, is that we're never going to get the facts. The best we can do is make some intelligent inferences and try to learn something.

For example, someone mentioned that she had her mask off and was panicking. I don't think it's that much of a leap to say, "you should be comfortable without a mask insofar as you aren't going to panic if it's off". It was also mentioned that she panicked and her buddy tried to assist but was unable to and ascended. Is it too much speculation to say, "Everyone should take a rescue class and make sure they actually learn enough to assist someone that is panicking"?

You may call this speculation but frankly, I think that's all we're going to get out of this.

I am a personal friend of the groom, and have dove with Dynamike...as a matter of fact I raved about the diving in BC to the groom 3 years ago. And although I do feel this forum is a great open discussion tool for topics such as the one above, I have to say this particular thread isn't.

I agree that Mike is a great guy, with an awesome sense of humour without a mean spirited bone in his body, but this thread is constantly being monitored by the friends and family so please continue this discussion here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1169520#post1169520

Thank you for your sensitivity

You guys can belive what you want to belive but i know what is true

the RCMP doesnt always update their press releces.

And i do know what RCMP stands for im not dumb

I can't sit back and watch this any longer. The person we are talking about was a beautiful wonderful woman that we all are missing to the very core of our hearts. She was one of my best friends, someone I have known all of my life. I can barely see through my tears to type this. But I am getting sick of this person spewing crap that he can't back up. There is a reason you can't back it up, it is not true. You say you got your info on July 7. Well, we had the memorial service on July 9 in Saskatchewan and again on July15 in Ontario and my best friend was not there. I know that there is a lot of family and friends watching this site so out of respect for the amazing human being that our friend was would you PLEASE STOP!!!!!!

cornfed:
The problem, Bob, is that we're never going to get the facts. The best we can do is make some intelligent inferences and try to learn something.

For example, someone mentioned that she had her mask off and was panicking. I don't think it's that much of a leap to say, "you should be comfortable without a mask insofar as you aren't going to panic if it's off". It was also mentioned that she panicked and her buddy tried to assist but was unable to and ascended. Is it too much speculation to say, "Everyone should take a rescue class and make sure they actually learn enough to assist someone that is panicking"?

You may call this speculation but frankly, I think that's all we're going to get out of this.

The problem with that type of speculation is that it itself is based on speculation. It's possible she did not panic at all, but had a seizure, or an allegeric reaction, and her husband speculated that her actions as panic.

In fact, her mask being off might not be any part of what ulitmately lead to this tragedy. Something wholly unrelated could have occurred, and she could have been the best trained diver in the World.

ltf71:
I can't sit back and watch this any longer. The person we are talking about was a beautiful wonderful woman that we all are missing to the very core of our hearts. She was one of my best friends, someone I have known all of my life. I can barely see through my tears to type this. But I am getting sick of this person spewing crap that he can't back up. There is a reason you can't back it up, it is not true. You say you got your info on July 7. Well, we had the memorial service on July 9 in Saskatchewan and again on July15 in Ontario and my best friend was not there. I know that there is a lot of family and friends watching this site so out of respect for the amazing human being that our friend was would you PLEASE STOP!!!!!!

Please accept my belated condolences for the loss of your friend. It's hard to imagine a sadder set of circumstances for such a devastating loss.

To any family or friends reading this, please know that many of us who did not know her personally do feel for your loss and we while no words will heal the pain, we truely wish there were something that could be said to lessen your grief.

Ok i have a statement to make :

the info that came from the local dive shop which i then posted on the form was
incorrect.

my dad had just talked to Constable Howard Lagen of the Ladysmith RCMP and he said that indeed the body had NOT been found.

I am very sorry to all those involved in this form.

i should have done more research on this before i tried to push my point.

so the Facts are : the body remains to be found .

So now that the facts are known we can all talk to each other on lighter terms.

Thank you
Alexander Luckham

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom