(06 JUL 05) Fatality off Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Specific information is very difficult to come by in these incidents. We had a diver fatality here in the Seattle area last week ... and although there was some sketchy news coverage the day after the accident, the only reason I know it was a fatality is because I know someone who works at the hospital where the victim was transported.

Seems like the local media just doesn't think these fatal accidents are worth discussing ...
Are you sure you WANT the local media to discuss them? Enough uninformed "discussion", and the equally uninformed politicians decide "something needs to be done about it!" -- the "something" usually restrictive to divers, counterproductive to safety, and costly to taxpayers.

mello-yellow:
Are you sure you WANT the local media to discuss them? Enough uninformed "discussion", and the equally uninformed politicians decide "something needs to be done about it!" -- the "something" usually restrictive to divers, counterproductive to safety, and costly to taxpayers.

The numbers of divers who die in diving incidents are not large enough, in my opinion, to warrant government regulation. I doubt the govenment would step in.

NWGratefulDiver:
Wow ... talk about inappropriate. And on your very first post, no less ... :11:

Folks who cared about this woman are reading this forum. That may not matter to you ... but it sure would to anyone with a shred of human empathy.

Your profile lists you as a dive operations owner/employee. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to which one ... I'm sure all the PADI divers reading your post would like to know which business to avoid ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I wasn't going to go there but I felt the same way as you. Dynamike is this guy http://www.divedynamike.com/ and I can't see how making such an inappropriate post on sucjh a sensitive issue could do anything but inflame senstitive feelings.
I encourage all PADI divers who are reading this to look elsewhere when diving in the Quadra Island area because it seems DynaMike doesn't feel we are competent enough to dive off his boat.

sunfm:
The RCMP dive team found the body of the woman
sunfm:
i dont think that it was the RCMP that found her i think it was just some rec divers

So which one is it? The story forum is here...

I appreciate that your interested in this incident but I request that you have some decency. The family and friends are already grieving from the tragedy and don't need to be upset by internet spawned rumours.

wedivebc:
I wasn't going to go there but I felt the same way as you. Dynamike is this guy http://www.divedynamike.com/ and I can't see how making such an inappropriate post on sucjh a sensitive issue could do anything but inflame senstitive feelings.
I encourage all PADI divers who are reading this to look elsewhere when diving in the Quadra Island area because it seems DynaMike doesn't feel we are competent enough to dive off his boat.

Although pointing to a particular agency may have been a poor choice(especially on this board apparently), I for one would commend any operation that realizes the limits that basic training provides a diver with and looks to avoid incidents that may arise due to these limitations. What I don't understand is the need to turn blind eyes and avoid discussing the causes of accidents whatever they may be as opposed to trying to figure out ways to avoid them. Pointing fingers is wrong but so is looking the other way in case someone may happen to be offended or worse, responsible.
I hold nothing but sympathy and sadness for the freinds and family that have been affected by this truly unfortunate event, but understand that this is an forum in which to discuss accidents & incidents. Since no one either has the details or is willing to reveal them, then I see no reason that possible causes(no matter what they are) should not be examined in the hopes of preventing theses tragedies from happening to any other divers regardless skill, pride, training history, etc, or their families.
I would ride with DynaMike anytime, And probably will one day.
Again my sympathies to the families and friends,
And to all divers, may all your dives be plagued with good fortune and amazing vis.
GoJu.

GoJu:
Although pointing to a particular agency may have been a poor choice(especially on this board apparently), I for one would commend any operation that realizes the limits that basic training provides a diver with and looks to avoid incidents that may arise due to these limitations. What I don't understand is the need to turn blind eyes and avoid discussing the causes of accidents whatever they may be as opposed to trying to figure out ways to avoid them. Pointing fingers is wrong but so is looking the other way in case someone may happen to be offended or worse, responsible.
I hold nothing but sympathy and sadness for the freinds and family that have been affected by this truly unfortunate event, but understand that this is an forum in which to discuss accidents & incidents. Since no one either has the details or is willing to reveal them, then I see no reason that possible causes(no matter what they are) should not be examined in the hopes of preventing theses tragedies from happening to any other divers regardless skill, pride, training history, etc, or their families.
I would ride with DynaMike anytime, And probably will one day.
Again my sympathies to the families and friends,
And to all divers, may all your dives be plagued with good fortune and amazing vis.
GoJu.

In order to discuss the cause of an accident, one must know what caused it.

Speculation helps no one, and lends to no understanding of accident prevention, because it starts with an assumed premise that may not have any basis in the reality of events leading up to the accident.

Unless there is evidence pointing to deficient training as a cause ... which in this case there is not ... that sort of speculation is nothing more than agency-bashing based on assumptions and stereotypes.

In fairness, I've heard good things about DynaMike's operation ... and may ride with him myself someday (Quadra Island is an incredible dive destination) ... but speculative comments of that nature will not help us learn anything, either about this particular accident or what we can do to avoid similar accidents in the future. Nor are they appropriate for this forum.

I would ask all readers, out of respect for the deceased diver, to not make speculative comments without some relevent information that points to the cause of the accident.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I would ask all readers, out of respect for the deceased diver, to not make speculative comments without some relevent information that points to the cause of the accident.
The problem, Bob, is that we're never going to get the facts. The best we can do is make some intelligent inferences and try to learn something.

For example, someone mentioned that she had her mask off and was panicking. I don't think it's that much of a leap to say, "you should be comfortable without a mask insofar as you aren't going to panic if it's off". It was also mentioned that she panicked and her buddy tried to assist but was unable to and ascended. Is it too much speculation to say, "Everyone should take a rescue class and make sure they actually learn enough to assist someone that is panicking"?

You may call this speculation but frankly, I think that's all we're going to get out of this.

I think we have shifted away from the main purpose of this post and this part of the forum. I urge everyone posting to this thread to remember that this post is discussing a very sad incident that took place last week and that family and friends of the woman are also reading these posts. I think we owe them the courteousy of not 'agency' bashing and speculating at to what took place.

I agree that the overall number of scuba related deaths does not necessarily warrant gov't intervention or regulations. However, this has been a very bad spring & summer so far out here in BC... so much so that the local paper ran a front page story about it today.

NavyDoll:
I think we have shifted away from the main purpose of this post and this part of the forum. I urge everyone posting to this thread to remember that this post is discussing a very sad incident that took place last week and that family and friends of the woman are also reading these posts. I think we owe them the courteousy of not 'agency' bashing and speculating at to what took place.

I agree that the overall number of scuba related deaths does not necessarily warrant gov't intervention or regulations. However, this has been a very bad spring & summer so far out here in BC... so much so that the local paper ran a front page story about it today.
Which paper? I need to read it
Never mind found it here http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescolonist/news/story.html?id=92adc42d-084c-4aee-a485-eb5c3568fff0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom