(06 JUL 05) Fatality off Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just read in the paper that there was a diver from Ontario missing and presumed drowned off Saltspring Island yestarday. She was diving off a charter boat.
I am looking for more details. Anyone hear anything?

wedivebc:
Just read in the paper that there was a diver from Ontario missing and presumed drowned off Saltspring Island yestarday. She was diving off a charter boat.

Hi Dave, This hasn't been a good year regarding diving fatality in BC, this is the fourth one so far. From the TV news they reported that the two got separated when one of the diver had a problem at 50ft. The CG and Search and rescue look for her for over 4 hours. That all I got which is probably what you were reading in the paper.

Specific information is very difficult to come by in these incidents. We had a diver fatality here in the Seattle area last week ... and although there was some sketchy news coverage the day after the accident, the only reason I know it was a fatality is because I know someone who works at the hospital where the victim was transported.

Seems like the local media just doesn't think these fatal accidents are worth discussing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This diver was a close friend of ours here in Toronto. I received a call this morning with this most upsetting news ~ if anyone in the local Vancouver Island area can continue to post news regarding this accident; I know there would be many grateful friends who would appreciate it.

Many thanks
Darryl

fuzzyyeti:
This diver was a close friend of ours here in Toronto. I received a call this morning with this most upsetting news ~ if anyone in the local Vancouver Island area can continue to post news regarding this accident; I know there would be many grateful friends who would appreciate it.

Many thanks
Darryl
My sympathies to you over this tragic loss. I will keep you posted. I read about it in the Victoria Times Colonist but details were sketchy.
If you need anything from this end of the country let me know how I can help.

Sympathies to the friends and family of the woman who passed away while diving Sansum Narrows off the coast of Vancouver Island yesterday. Like Dave, I live out here.. so if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to PM me.

I've only been diving about 2 1/2 years... but it seems to me that this year has not been good with respect to diving accidents out here in the waters of BC and the Pacific Northwest. Or perhaps this year I'm just more acutely aware of it?

Again my sympathies..
jocelynn

Yeah I heard about it this afternoon. She was a 2nd cousin to me, She I just was marrried last week. Her and her husband few to Vancover island for there honeymoon. I guess they went scuba diving. There was some trouble with there divie and she panic and pulled off her mask and her husband tried to help but she waved him off and he tried to help her. He had to get to the surface for some apparent reason, once there he insrtucted that he need help. so they started the search, but with no results. What a very tragic accident for these newly weds. No body has been recovered as of yet.

update:

I have some further info that before they got into the water that she was saying that her regulator didn't seem to be working properly, her husband and the charter operator tried it and they thought it seemed to be working. Everything was ok at 40 feet and when they got down to 50 feet her husband saw that there was a problem and that she had her mask off and tried to offer her his and she was panicing, he had to get to the surface, and get help and it took about 5 minutes before they got back into the water for the desent but they couldn't locate her and keep on searching.

the diver who died is a close friend of mine. can anyone out in b.c. tell me what it is like diving off sansum narrows? is it a dangerous place to dive? i guess i just want to know what it is like there.
thanks, nicole

wedivebc:
The couple are friends of mine, who were there for their honeymoon and she is missing...I joined this board today just to see if someone else had some information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom