0520 Coltri Filter cartridge shelf life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased 4 off 0520 filter cartridges some 18 months or so ago. As they were being used in series on my Bauer compressor as a secondary filter, I realised they would not require frequent changing. So as a way to store them and extend their shelf life I vacuum sealed each one. Before sealing them I weighed them at 105 grams each. Their calculated end of life weight is 110 gm.

I used the first over a period of some months and checked and replaced it with a second and its initial weight was 105 gm. On opening the next one some many months later, my suprise was that it now weighed 110 gm. On opening the next one it was the same. I also had a repackable one and checked its weight too and it had increased as well. To prove my suspicion I took out the MS and heated it in an oven and reweighed it, it had lost the increased weight, clearly water.

So my question is, how did the water get in there given they were all fully weighed and vacuum sealed when purchased. All had good vacuum sealing when opened for use?

Plastic bags are good for short term storage, but they are slightly porous. Over time they will leak and ambient moisture will find its way in. If you want to actually store something vacuum sealed for any length of time, mylar bags are necessary. Alternatively, you can place it into a hard container, like a glass mason jar, which you can evacuate.

FoodSaver plastic systems are great for moderate term food storage, but not for compressor filters unless you're using them fairly quickly.

Plastic bags are good for short term storage, but they are slightly porous. Over time they will leak and ambient moisture will find its way in. If you want to actually store something vacuum sealed for any length of time, mylar bags are necessary. Alternatively, you can place it into a hard container, like a glass mason jar, which you can evacuate.

FoodSaver plastic systems are great for moderate term food storage, but not for compressor filters unless you're using them fairly quickly.

Ok thank you, now I understand the issue. Surprising that moisture gets in but air doesn't as they still held vacuum. I will chase up some mylar bags, thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom