05-17-08 Veterans Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bandit1980ta

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok guys, first of all, thanks to Miss Directed I got hooked up with this awsome Capt. We took off out of Dunedin today for a few shallow dives. I had myself and four friends (three of which have just gotten their certs.). We went out to Veterans reef for the first one, and to a natural ledge next. We had a great time. If anyone wants a Capt to go out with Mike is reasonable, has a great (and fast) boat, and his prices are great. As we were pulling up to the first site I found my self a new spear gun. So the trip was profitable from the start. The vis. was about 25-30ft on Vetrans and on the natural reef it was top to bottom (about 45ft). We saw a lot of tropical fish on the second dive, small hogs, snook, barracudas, jacks, and a huge angel. All the new guys did great. All in all a great day.

Gulfdive05-17-08004.jpg

Gulfdive05-17-08009.jpg

Gulfdive05-17-08026.jpg

Bandit, I lost my gun on Friday about 14 miles west of Clw. pass, it is a 52 inch either Biller or Sea Hornet (sorry can't remember which), it has a single black band with no other additions. I am pretty sure that my initials "TG" were written on the trigger housing a long time ago and maybe still be barely visible. If it is my gun I would be extremely indebted to you for returning it.
Thanks! tb_buc

EDIT: FYI, I posted on another site on Saturday and a dive buddy who was with us posted at another site yesterday.

Two guns and no kill report :confused:

Glad you had a good time with Mike. :cheers:

What was I thinking!!! :dork2:

First dive for us in 55 ft., visibility limited to 15-20 ft max, plenty of undersized gags and some hogs, finally ran across a red grouper and stoned him, of which I was rather proud of myself :eyebrow: Anyway he measured out at just under 22 inches, shortly after a decent hog made a showing and he also found my stringer. Second dive, the infamous "what a rookie mistake" dive, as so named by my loving wife :blinking: was at 45 feet, the area we marked had very little life or structure, seeing some small gags and snapper heading off West I followed them to an area of very nice relief and a ton of gags, all of course 18-20 inches, with about 1300 psi left I finally spotted a nice gag (27 inches), took aim as he was turning and fleeing and shot him through the gills, he immediately started to spin and gyrate to shake the spear, I slid my arm through my band (as usual) and raced over to secure the fish as he almost was free of the shaft. Well, as soon as I had him secured I could not feel my gun tugging at my arm or banging me on the head, looked up and there it was heading for the surface. So, having had that happen once or twice over the years I wasn't panicked, just pissed, strung my gag and headed for the surface to retrieve my gun. This is where I made my mistake, during my dive I knew I was a distance West of the boat and had planned at the end to work my way back before ascending. Being extremely irratated with myself what I forgot was the change in current direction during our dive, so when I came up and didn't immediately see my gun, I started to swim in the direction the current had been, if I turned around it was likely within 20 feet behind me. I gave up rather quickly because of my distance from the boat and the rough water conditions, it just didn't seem smart to swim away from the stern of the boat.
Well, that's my story, sad one I know, but I did make it safely back to the boat, my sympathy goes out to the family of the diver that apparently did not this past weekend.

Two guns and no kill report :confused:

Glad you had a good time with Mike. :cheers:

Yea, I had mine in the truck. When I talked to Mike the first time, he asked if we were spearing of just diving. So I didn't take it along. Besides I was soooo busy trying to keep track of all the new guys (I was kinda afraid they might swim into the spear or something.....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:). So I didn't have a spear, but I only saw two or three that I might have shot at. I figured that my size interpritation might be like Miss "D"s anyway. So that would mean that the couple that looked bg enough to shoot would be minnows, right:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:.
Tony, I will keep a look out for that for you. It would have been wierd for it to have stayed that close to where you were. I think I might be going out to the same area with a friend in the next few days.

Well Bandit called, thanks for the quick reply! He found a 48" JBL, not the 52" Sea Hornet that I lost.

Hi all.. I haven't posted much and I'm sure none of you know me.... but I was one of the FNG's out with bandit and I'm pleasantly surprised that he didn't mention this... but it was a big part of the day so here it is... I was the one that did all the chumming. Apparently there was a bet won because of this.
It was MY first time on open seas and my first salt water dive. I have a history of getting nauseous on amusement park rides & such, so I wasn't surprised, but WOW! was I sick! Despite getting seasick, I had a fantastic time and I'm going to get my sea legs, I assure you. I will not let a little tummyache ruin all the adventures I'm looking forward to!

So any tips/tricks for overcoming seasickness, send 'em my way!!! Otherwise, see ya on the bottom!

Last edited:
Hi all.. I haven't posted much and I'm sure none of you know me.... but I was one of the FNG's out with bandit and I'm pleasantly surprised that he didn't mention this... but it was a big part of the day so here it is... I was the one that did all the chumming. Apparently there was a bet won because of this.
It was MY first time on open seas and my first salt water dive. I have a history of getting nauseous on amusement park rides & such, so I wasn't surprised, but WOW! was I sick! Despite getting seasick, I had a fantastic time and I'm going to get my sea legs, I assure you. I will not let a little tummyache ruin all the adventures I'm looking forward to!

Bandit - a stand up kind of guy?????? Really? :wink1:

Seriously, toss some seasick meds in your dive bag.

Glad you had a good time with Captain MIke.

So any tips/tricks for overcoming seasickness, send 'em my way!!! Otherwise, see ya on the bottom!

Concentrate on the waves going up and down, that usually helps me. Just kidding land lubber. Take MissD's advice and use motion sickness meds. Just ensure you read the box when you buy them. Some meds require you to take them hours before you go out on a boat for better results. If you wait until you start feeling sea sick it's definitely too late.

Bandit, sounds like you had a fun dive. Good to hear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom