03-27-05 Rocket trip down St. Andrews Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darcy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Met with Flipper and Kirk to dive the PCB jetties on Easter Sunday. It was slightly cloudy with T-storms coming in out of the NW. Saltwatertides.com said high tide was 855am. We made a shore entrance on the Gulf side of the park at 8am. We swam on the surface to the point and descended right before the curve into the channel. We kicked hard around the point and then flew with the 5 knot current down the rocks. Water temp was 62 degrees at 72', surface temp was 66 degrees, and the air temp was 65 degrees. Wind was WNW. The vis at the point was 20-25' and dropped off after the first sand shoal to 12-15'. The current moved us toward the center of the channel and we kicked back to toward the rocks. We rode the current for 17 minutes, stopped at 46' circled back around the rocks to our exit point at 42'. Stopped to catch our breath from the wild ride for a few minutes then ascended to 15' for a 3 minute safety stop. I saw my first sea turtle at 64', she swam under us for awhile then darted off into the current. I didn't see much else because we were having fun weaving through the rocks flying at us. What a ride!

Sounds like alot of fun, I haven't seen many turtles either, but the 2 instances I've seen one(the same one) were at Destin Jetties and he/she didn't stick around long either time either. I can't wait to get back into some jettie dives. :D

Sounds like fun Darcy
I can't wait until I get back down to the jetties. I had to settle for Lake Jocassee, SC 3/26/05.

Jeremy

Glad you had fun. Ive always thought someone should put a sign UW at the crossover point in the jetties to get back into the lagoon, so you know when to come up.

There is a little grouper that sticks his head out at 42' with a sign that says "Go that way --->" or maybe that is just for me? It was a blast. I don't think I would have attempted it without Flipper! He is a good tour guide.

I've been seeing this weird fish out there it has a long snout like a seahorse, a high forhead, with a fish's body. It looks like it should be playing a saxophone in an underwater jazz band. Any idea what it might be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom