Question Still worth it for someone with janky equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking at Cozumel for our next family vacation because of the great diving and Spanish language. However, I have a problem equalizing. Yes, I have tried Frenzel and a bunch of other methods. Depending on the day, it can take me 10 minutes to get down to 10m. Would I still be able to enjoy Cozumel? Obviously I would choose an operator that wouldn't require a "hot drop", and have no problem paying for a private DM if that's necessary. I would not be interested in diving solo. Thanks!

I think a private DM is the way to go. The group DM can help you descend slowly but I'm not sure they can delay leading off the group that long. With your private DM you won't have to worry about staying with the group.

There are few sites with little to no current, and many of them would be rather dull from 15-30 feet under.

Are you the only diver in the family?
If so maybe Curacao, lots of shore diving, gentle sloping entry/decent could probably hire a guide inexpensively. Tanks for shore dives run 12-15 $. Most sites have some level of dive shop. Also lots of topside stuff for the fam.

If multiple divers in family maybe Bonaire, same style of diving less to do topside.

My ex wife had pretty bad problems equalizing. We would just warn the DM and stay together, above the group, descending as she was able. It was never a problem.

My ex wife had pretty bad problems equalizing. We would just warn the DM and stay together, above the group, descending as she was able. It was never a problem.
That could be a problem if the current is strong; the deeper you go the slower it goes, so you could find yourself swept away from your group if you stay much shallower than they are.

My home dive bud always had troubles equalizing on our trips before he died at home. Here's what he and I did...
  1. Agreed that dive buds enter together, descend together, swim together, ascend together, and exit as close as together as possible. I could drop easily, but I stayed with him until he cleared, period. If you don't have a dedicated bud who will do that, you may need a private DM.
  2. He smuggled the original formula Sudafed with pseudoephedrine in on every trip as I still do today. The OTC Sudafed is worthless. I get Walact-D at Walgreens which is the same. We'd take a pill the night before the flight, the morning of the flight, then every night before and morning before dive days.
  3. He'd practice equalizing the night before the flight, the morning of the flight, then every night before and morning, and on the boat.
I hope that helps.

My home dive bud always had troubles equalizing on our trips before he died at home. Here's what he and I did...
  1. Agreed that dive buds enter together, descend together, swim together, ascend together, and exit as close as together as possible. I could drop easily, but I stayed with him until he cleared, period. If you don't have a dedicated bud who will do that, you may need a private DM.
  2. He smuggled the original formula Sudafed with pseudoephedrine in on every trip as I still do today. The OTC Sudafed is worthless. I get Walact-D at Walgreens which is the same. We'd take a pill the night before the flight, the morning of the flight, then every night before and morning before dive days.
  3. He'd practice equalizing the night before the flight, the morning of the flight, then every night before and morning, and on the boat.
I hope that helps.
Two things about pseudoephedrine apart from whatever risk there is (IMO minimal if you are discreet about it) to bringing it into Mexico. One is that it has a stimulative effect so it may make it harder to sleep if you take it before bedtime; it is a precursor for methamphetamine, which is why the Mexican authorities are concerned about it. The other is that like any other drug, you can build a tolerance to it; the more you use it the less effect it has.

The little red pills only have about a four hour effect, so I don't think taking it the night before you fly or dive is that great of an idea, but whatever floats your boat.

Two things about pseudoephedrine apart from whatever risk there is (IMO minimal if you are discreet about it) to bringing it into Mexico. One is that it has a stimulative effect so it may make it harder to sleep if you take it before bedtime
Thanks, yes, the original pseudoephedrine can be. One should take it as a test on a free day well before the trip to see if they're bothered by it. It's rare, but some are. I am glad that it's never bothered my sleep.
The other is that like any other drug, you can build a tolerance to it; the more you use it the less effect it has.
I've been taking it as a maintenance med for decades, and fortunately it still works for me. Your mileage may vary.
The little red pills only have about a four hour effect, so I don't think taking it the night before you fly or dive is that great of an idea, but whatever floats your boat.
I don't know. I think that it has a longer effect, but maybe not. There are 12 hour extended time-release formulas.

I respectfully request that discussion of importing and using a controlled substance be left out of this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom