BP/W Adjustment Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keeperguy64

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently got a Freedom Plate from Eric and despite his help to get everything adjusted I'm having some trouble.

With the arm loops adjusted tight enough to hold the plate at the correct height on my back they are tight enough to prevent my right hand from touching my left shoulder and vice versa. The webbing I have is quite rigid so it does not fold in half as I reach, instead it cuts into my arm and prevents it from moving. With the loops loose enough to allow full range of motion of my arms the plate sits low enough that I cannot touch the top of the plate while reaching backwards.

Are there other adjustments or perhaps different types of webbing that may be helpful for me?

I am NOT familiar with Freedom plate.
But for other BP the trick is NOT to set the shoulder harness tight at all. The size of my fist is the minimum amount of free play(wearing thermal protection). And the crotch strap will take care of the looseness.

I am NOT familiar with Freedom plate.
But for other BP the trick is NOT to set the shoulder harness tight at all. The size of my fist is the minimum amount of free play(wearing thermal protection). And the crotch strap will take care of the looseness.
I agree with this. I turn my fist sideways (thumbs against the chest and pinkies against the webbing. That takes care of the shoulders. Then the waist strap and crotch strap take care of everything else. That is what keeps it secure and stable. Don't worry about the touching the top of the plate when reaching backwards

I don't have a freedom plate just a normal plate for doubles. I can't even get near the top of my plate with my hands but the manifold/valves are nearly touching my head so it depends on your flexibility

I don't have a freedom plate just a normal plate for doubles. I can't even get near the top of my plate with my hands but the manifold/valves are nearly touching my head so it depends on your flexibility

It also depends on where/how the tanks/bands are orientated equal or unequal distances. For example, is there more tank sticking up from the top band or more tank below the bottom band?

I've been using a double hose regulator lately which requires the can be between the shoulder blades. I place the tank(s) as low as I can in the bands. The STA or DTA is mounted as low as possible on the B/P, then the crouth strap keeps the rig stable at the right "height".

When I use my single hose I just raise the tank(s) in the bands. After 3 rotator cuffs ops I can't touch my back anyway but, if I could I'd reach my valves.

OP you might try raising your bands on the B/P if that's possible. If not you could try placing the tanks as high as possible in the bands. I guess you want to be able to touch the manifold not so much the B/P?

I split the shoulder straps and added a pivot point and sternum strap to get the harness out of my armpits.
IMG_20210621_152332.jpg

is your torso overly long that a tall plate would be a good idea? else just loosen up the shoulders like others have said and adjust the tank as necessary

Don’t adjust it for walking, adjust it for diving! In diving position it will nestle in and be fine.

I don’t use a one piece strap like most do because that style just doesn’t fit me, I run an “H” harness with “T” bars, it moves the shoulder strap lower attachment away from the backplate and allows room for weight pouches to sit further back against the plate.

I recently got a Freedom Plate from Eric and despite his help to get everything adjusted I'm having some trouble.

With the arm loops adjusted tight enough to hold the plate at the correct height on my back they are tight enough to prevent my right hand from touching my left shoulder and vice versa. The webbing I have is quite rigid so it does not fold in half as I reach, instead it cuts into my arm and prevents it from moving. With the loops loose enough to allow full range of motion of my arms the plate sits low enough that I cannot touch the top of the plate while reaching backwards.

Are there other adjustments or perhaps different types of webbing that may be helpful for me?
I also use the stiffer webbing, I tried the flexier webbing first, but it is so floppy, I could not do the skill in which you remove and re-don the BP/W underwater. But hey, webbing is cheap, so not any reason you shouldn't just try it out for your own experience.
With my looser, stiff webbing, I still need to get the backplate correct height, but I think it is something I do automatically when I re-tighten my BP/W waist belt after getting into the water, which I have to do, since that is when the weight of the whole assembly is not dragging downward. I don't wear a weight belt, I use weight pockets, so I can tighten the belt with nothing interfering, although I do start off with the crotch strap attached a bit off to the side.
Best wishes!

With the back pack style plates you may not be able reach the top of the plate. The reason being is that the plate might sit a bit lower in the “sweet spot” and it also will rest snug against your back from top to bottom. The Freedom Plate is narrower on top so combined with it sitting in closer and snug against your back at the top you would have to pry your arm back and in to reach it. It doesn’t really matter if you can reach it or not because the Freedom Plate is completely different from a standard doubles plate. Doubles plates are straight up and down so the way the plate sits on your back the top will be sticking out in mid air. If you try and pull the top of the plate in it will teeter totter on your shoulder blades. The top of doubles plates is also a lot wider than the FP. The narrow upper portion and contoured shape of the Freedom Plate will allow the plate to sink down in between your shoulder blades and hug your back from top to bottom, this is the difference.
So the “touch the top of the plate” method does not apply to the FP.
Loosen the straps so that you can fit a couple fingers in (like you would measure tequila in a glass) and make sure you can push your arm under the strap to get out. While in mention it, the other thing that does not apply to the FP is the doubles plate method of getting out. They like to grab the clipped off primary reg and use that as a handle and jimmy the rig off like they are taking off a coat.
A better way to do it with the FP is to reach across your chest and pull the strap out with the opposite hand (pull left shoulder strap out with right thumb) and then slide your other arm (left arm) under and out forward (not bent back) of the strap being pulled out. Very simple and fast, no funky contortions or dislocated shoulders trying to get out.
Set your tank high enough that if you want to be able to reach back and work the valve you can.
That ends up being a little high for me personally and I don’t care about reaching the valve because I like my tank a little lower. It’s all personal preference, tank size, trim adjustment, etc.
Also remember that underwater all the weight will be off and you will be laying flat, so gravity won’t be a factor.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom