Help with BP/W setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are folks who believe that one needs to use an STA or other device for "roll control" of the single tank...my experience is that this is unnecessary if a pair of cam straps are properly used. YMMV.

-Z
Indeed that's been a factor in my hesitancy to go with a Dive Rite wing for a second BP/W setup. I have only ever dove with a VDH wing with built in roll control.

I have a different brand harness on my BP/W and the strap does sit about bellybutton high. If you don't have a crotch strap, I prefer it; especially when at the surface, it keeps it all from riding up like a little kid in a life vest.

We use STA not for the reasons mentioned so far. We use them to keep the tank slightlly further away from the back of the head. My better half is very short torso and no matter where we position the tank the regulator first stage bumps her head while diving. The STA has eliminated that. On the BP/W that don't have a STA they have those plastic book screws to hold everything together. Some wings have roll control and some don't. We have found that the STA is much easier when changing tanks and setting up..especially on a rough day at sea. Is it necessary no...will it make your life easier..absolutely

I used to use and recommend using sex bolts. But now, I just use a zip tie to hold the wing when I feel the need to. Cheap, easy to replace, and doesn't risk coming into contact with smaller diameter cylinders.
Run the zip tie through two of the top holes in the plate and wing and tighten.

We use STA not for the reasons mentioned so far. We use them to keep the tank slightlly further away from the back of the head. My better half is very short torso and no matter where we position the tank the regulator first stage bumps her head while diving. The STA has eliminated that. On the BP/W that don't have a STA they have those plastic book screws to hold everything together. Some wings have roll control and some don't. We have found that the STA is much easier when changing tanks and setting up..especially on a rough day at sea. Is it necessary no...will it make your life easier..absolutely
That's an interesting point of view, thanks for sharing. Most people I have read consider having the tank closer to the body a feature (in terms of weight distribution).

That's an interesting point of view, thanks for sharing. Most people I have read consider having the tank closer to the body a feature (in terms of weight distribution).
It's really not that far way if you get a chance to look at an STA...we have a SS one for cold water diving and an aluminum one for warm water. The inch or inch and a half made just enough difference for her back of her head...it is like the same complaint when people have a DIN regulator and they use it with a yoke conversion and complain they now bump their head on the first stage since it is positioned closer to the back of your head

And where is this leaving the waist belt for y’all? Does it matter? Is there a too high or too low?

I will definitely be using the crotch strap

And where is this leaving the waist belt for y’all? Does it matter? Is there a too high or too low?

I will definitely be using the crotch strap

Your physique will determine everything.
You need to fine tune the set up in water not on land or walking.

Reactions: Zef
Indeed that's been a factor in my hesitancy to go with a Dive Rite wing for a second BP/W setup. I have only ever dove with a VDH wing with built in roll control.

Like I stated further down in the posted you quoted, my wife and I have been diving with Dive Rite Voyager wings for a number of years now and after a few hundred dives I can state we have never had an issue with tanks moving/rolling out of position.

We also have a pair of HOG wings with roll control that belong to our daughters and I have dived with their wings a few times...to be honest, I don't perceive any difference than with my Dive Rite wing.

If tank rolling out of position was an issue that couldn't be attributed to improper cam strap setup/use, I would certainly use something like an STA...I have one, just never had any need to use it, so it lives in a bin with other unused gear.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom