for those with Steel 72s...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
What kind of fills are you averaging at your LDS or your shop? Mine have the +s but my current fill place is confused and will only fill to 2250.

I only have regular hydro, so 2250 for my Norris 72.

I fill my own so no issues. However, does your tank have the plus rating after the most recent hydro or just the original one?

I fill my own so no issues. However, does your tank have the plus rating after the most recent hydro or just the original one?

Oh good question?

as I just got them all (4) hydroed.. so if they didn't put the + after the last hydro.... I'm screwed?

Yep Date plus UE

Didnt even think to look as the shop told me they passed with flying colors. My bad.. and My loss.

--
Got home and hooked them up and noticed the pressure.. so proceeded to test all 4 and all where 2250ish..

Never even crossed my mind as they all passed 5 years ago.

:( - It really sucks to have pissed of 4 hydros and 4 tanks.

Those are seen as 3K tanks anywhere on the East Coast (USA) that I have ever come in contact with. Give me one reliable example of one of them asploding due to the 750 psi overfill. One of my treasured 72's is stamped EBD. (The first woman on the Doria.) I can't imagine how many times that tank has been filled to 3k cold.

I'm only limited to a 2250 fill for pure O2 and have absolutely no issue with that whatsoever.

A young nitwit at Dutch Springs took delight in limiting me to 2250 on air. I live in Delaware. Ever since then, I drive north the same distance to dive. But now I turn in the other direction to one of the ocean's back bays to solo watch the critters with a full fill from my new LDS instead of soaking in a carnival pisshole quarry.

2800 because I tell them thats the most I want. I've gotten them back at 3300 sometimes though.

Oh good question?

as I just got them all (4) hydroed.. so if they didn't put the + after the last hydro.... I'm screwed?

Yep Date plus UE

Didnt even think to look as the shop told me they passed with flying colors. My bad.. and My loss.

--
Got home and hooked them up and noticed the pressure.. so proceeded to test all 4 and all where 2250ish..

Never even crossed my mind as they all passed 5 years ago.

:( - It really sucks to have pissed of 4 hydros and 4 tanks.. Anyone want 4 standard 72's?

Is this the same place that gave them the plus the last time. If it is I would go back and talk to them about it. They have the test records that will show if it passed the plus requirement.

My local shop (10 minutes up the road) is strictly by the book, and only fills mine to 2250..... so I usually go an hour away to a place that deals with cave divers regularly. They ask what I want it filled to, so I usually run 3000 in them.
I do strongly advise looking into the metallurgy of steel tanks and how hydro testing works, so people can make their own informed decisions on if/how much to "cave fill" steels. And having looked at the metallurgy, I flatly advise against overfilling aluminums.... ever!

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom