Trip Report West Palm Beach- March 18-21, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redfoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After researching and getting tons of information from Scubaboard, I made a long weekend trip to WPB mid March.

I booked a condo on Singer Island, small unit looking out at the beach on the Atlantic side, close to the blue Heron Bridge. I am glad I went this route, as there were several restaurants, a Publix and a 7-11 all within walking distance. The Hilton I originally looked at was way overpriced after seeing the property, and the other hotels were either in questionable areas, or also extremely overpriced (it was peak season).

Flew direct from Detroit to PBI Airport on Delta, very affordable ticket, quick, clean and easy.

I dove with Walkers for 2 dives each on Friday and Saturday, hitting Flower Garden, Breakers (twice, once N-S and once S-N) and Toy Box/Ron's Rocks. Saw 4 different shark species, Loggerhead and Hawksbill turtles, eels, stingray, one goliath grouper and tons of various reef fish. I was really overwhelmed at the variety of creatures, quality of corals and visibility.

I thought Walkers did a good job, the guides were professional and Captain Bill was great. I did not like the tank bungee system, they all seem worn out and gear was flopping around the whole ride, even in calm seas. Not sure if this is the standard, but it took some getting used to, and one tank did fall, but nobody got hurt, no gear damaged.

I was very surprised by the other divers on the boat, many people brought everything but the kitchen sink. Honestly, I think some on SB would pack lighter for a weeklong liveaboard than what I saw people bring out for a 4 hour trip. Most were competent, but a couple people made me a little nervous. Some also thought there was a catered lunch on the boat, and were upset and hungry between dives. Part of this may have been that it was spring break?

On Saturday, I had arranged for a guide from Force-E to meet me at Blue Heron Bridge, and I rented an extra tank from Walkers. The high tide was around 1:00, and our boat got back in right around noon, so it worked out perfect. When we were passing the bridge on our way back in, I jumped off near the bridge and swam to shore. One of the DM's from Walkers brought my dry bag to Force-E and I picked it up after.
I enjoyed the bridge, we had a 90 minute dive, saw all the "greatest hits" and I am glad I made that work.

Singer Island was beautiful, I would definitely go back, and my wife would have things to do while I go diving.

I brought oatmeal packets, granola bars and protein bars for breakfast and snacking. Stopped at Publix for subs, bagels, juice and water, so I only ate out for dinner. The condo had coffee, toaster, microwave and fridge.

I ate at DAS Pizza twice, it was very good, and they had bands every night. Ate at the Sailfish Marina on Saturday. Excellent blackened mahi, and good live music on the docks. It was also fun to walk around and look at the yachts.

All in all, very glad I made the trip and can't wait to go back.

Here is video from the diving.

Great report @Redfoot! I also enjoyed the video. I dive this area all the time but can just never get enough! I'm glad you had a great trip. You planned it well. On your return visit give Pura Vida and/or Narcosis a try. They have better bungees. :wink:

As far as the clientele on the boat, what you experienced is rather typical especially around holidays and Spring Break. That is one reason why many locals dive solo and will wander away from large groups.

Now you need to come back for the Goliath Grouper aggregation! :D

Great report @Redfoot! I also enjoyed the video. I dive this area all the time but can just never get enough! I'm glad you had a great trip. You planned it well. On your return visit give Pura Vida and/or Narcosis a try. They have better bungees. :wink:

As far as the clientele on the boat, what you experienced is rather typical especially around holidays and Spring Break. That is one reason why many locals dive solo and will wander away from large groups.

Now you need to come back for the Goliath Grouper aggregation! :D
...and try Jupiter and Boynton :)

Nice report @Redfoot - thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us. It doesn't surprise me that you were impressed and overwhelmed with the quality and quantity of reef life. Diving along the gulf stream reefs between Delray Beach and Jupiter seems to be one of the best kept secrets among N. American divers. Everyone heads off to far flung places and there is such beautiful diving in Florida. Thanks again!

Thanks, not just for a fine trip report, but discussing logistics (e.g.: where you stayed), not just what you did but why. Often figuring out the topside is harder than figuring out the diving. But on that note, the video was helpful at getting some idea what diving it would be like.

Roughly what max. depth and average depths were your dives, and what duration? Were tanks larger than 80cf available? How many dives could you get in a day? Was guide service included?

I've never been to West Palm Beach for diving (did visit the zoo on a Jupiter trip years ago).

Thanks, not just for a fine trip report, but discussing logistics (e.g.: where you stayed), not just what you did but why. Often figuring out the topside is harder than figuring out the diving. But on that note, the video was helpful at getting some idea what diving it would be like.

Roughly what max. depth and average depths were your dives, and what duration? Were tanks larger than 80cf available? How many dives could you get in a day? Was guide service included?

I've never been to West Palm Beach for diving (did visit the zoo on a Jupiter trip years ago).

Thanks! You set the bar high for reports, so I appreciate your comments.

Average depth on all 4 boat dives was around 45 feet, max depth at 60. I think Ron's Rocks went deeper, but that was the site with all of the concrete/rebar structures, so I just hovered around 50 feet for most of the dive, except that hawksbill interaction at the end. Water temps were mid 70's, not fluctuating much from surface to depth.

They offered air or Nitrox in 80 or 100 CF tanks. I dove Nitrox 80's. the first day both tanks were right at 36%, and the second day all three tanks were at 33%. Fills right around 3k psi. They limit the dives to 1 hour or 500 psi at the surface. I went over 50 minutes on all dives, and came up with 800 or so psi, I think the shallower depths helped a lot, along with the drift diving.

Walkers puts a DM in the water who pulls the flag, takes video and keeps an eye on everyone. I stayed near the DM on all the dives, as this was my first trip in WPB. Everyone is required to have an SMB to inflate on the surface, which they provide at no charge if you don't have your own.

I think most operators in WPB were only doing 2 morning boat dives while I was there. If you time it right, you can add in an afternoon or night time bridge dive, depending on the tides. Several operators also advertise blackwater night dives in the Gulf Stream, but those were not running while I was there. Others can clarify more, but I think Jupiter and Boynton get some afternoon boat trips?

I like how you always include average cost per dive on your trips- but I would be scared to do the calculations for this one. Definitely not a super budget destination, but well worth it. A longer trip would probably lower the cost per dive, as would adding more bridge dives. I am sure you could negotiate a dive package with operators as well.

I think most operators in WPB were only doing 2 morning boat dives while I was there. If you time it right, you can add in an afternoon or night time bridge dive, depending on the tides. Several operators also advertise blackwater night dives in the Gulf Stream, but those were not running while I was there. Others can clarify more, but I think Jupiter and Boynton get some afternoon boat trips?

The Palm Beach & Boynton boats all seem to do one trip weekdays (10 am departure is typical) and two trips weekends (AM & PM). That is not universal however so check with the various charter operators. They all have slight variations to this schedule. For example Starfish typically runs one trip only Sundays as well.

In Jupiter Kyalami is always one trip a day @ 10 am and Jupiter Dive Center is typically two trips a day 7 days a week except for when they run a 3-tank trip.

@Redfoot @drrich2

The operators I use most are listed below. I'm hoping that Kevin Metz will restart Underwater Explorers in Boynton this summer, when we are in better shape with regard to Covid-19.

JDC, in Jupiter, offers a 2 tank trip every afternoon, a 2 tank night dive once per month, guide with flag provided at no additional cost. During the winter, JDC was offering afternoon dives only on the weekends. They have a nice web based reservation calendar Jupiter Dive Center Book Online (scubaocity.com)

Narcosis, in West Palm, offers 2 tank afternoon dives on Sat and Sun. The guide with flag is included. You must call to reserve your spot Dive Boat Charter Trips - SCUBA Diving Florida | Narcosis Dive Company

Loggerhead, in Boynton does 2 tank afternoon trips on Sat and Sun. No guide, all solo divers or groups takes a flag. Flags are provided. They have an online reservation system Loggerhead Dive Charters of Boynton Beach, FL (loggerheadcharters.com)

Starfish, in Boynton, has afternoon dives only on Sat. No guide. Flag is provided. They have an online reservation system Book Your Dive - Starfish Scuba

Both Loggerhead and Starfish provide a line holder with heavier polypropylene line to use with their flags, I use a reel

upload_2021-4-4_10-16-2.png
upload_2021-4-4_10-16-19.png

@Redfoot @drrich2

The operators I use most are listed below. I'm hoping that Kevin Metz will restart Underwater Explorers in Boynton this summer, when we are in better shape with regard to Covid-19.

JDC, in Jupiter, offers a 2 tank trip every afternoon, a 2 tank night dive once per month, guide with flag provided at no additional cost. During the winter, JDC was offering afternoon dives only on the weekends. They have a nice web based reservation calendar Jupiter Dive Center Book Online (scubaocity.com)

Narcosis, in West Palm, offers 2 tank afternoon dives on Sat and Sun. The guide with flag is included. You must call to reserve your spot Dive Boat Charter Trips - SCUBA Diving Florida | Narcosis Dive Company

Loggerhead, in Boynton does 2 tank afternoon trips on Sat and Sun. No guide, all solo divers or groups takes a flag. Flags are provided. They have an online reservation system Loggerhead Dive Charters of Boynton Beach, FL (loggerheadcharters.com)

Starfish, in Boynton, has afternoon dives only on Sat. No guide. Flag is provided. They have an online reservation system Book Your Dive - Starfish Scuba

Both Loggerhead and Starfish provide a line holder with heavier polypropylene line to use with their flags, I use a reel

View attachment 651718 View attachment 651719
Have you heard anything from Kevin? I note the website is not currently functioning.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom