BP/W for my first purchase + weighting ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to circle this thread back around to the beginning and say thank you to everyone who offered advice and experience.
I finally went diving with my new rig this past weekend in Jupiter FL. I ended up going with the OMS 27lb wing and DGX stainless backplate for my first BPW setup. As I was told it took some fiddling to get the webbing sized up right but I do really like the setup. There are a couple things I need to rethink or change to make it better suited for me:

- For some reason, I am still using, what I consider a lot of weight, @ 12 lbs. That’s only 2 lbs short of what I used with a jacket BCD. Need to understand that.
- The other is the DGX BP does not have holes for my ditch-able pockets to bolt to. Every other BP seems to have them, I missed this and had to secure them to the waist belt with tri glides, this turn my “adjustable’ waist belt into a “non adjustable” and it was a hassle on the boat. (See below)
- Lastly, with a SS BP and 12 lbs in my pockets it was a MFer to switch tanks on a 3 tank dive. That sucked. I definitely need a handle and maybe a aluminum backplate.

But I met a tiger shark up close and personal so it was a killer weekend!
Cheers
James
View attachment 651188 View attachment 651189 View attachment 651190
Lucky you seeing the shark, great pic.

I use this so I don’t have to lift my rig.

GripLock Tank Band Assembly - Aqua Lung CA - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

Same here, but still worth doing for a new diver first time using one.

This is only true if the shop has experience with back plates, wings, and the different harness types.

As much as BP/Ws are the standard recommendation here on SB, the jacket/vest style BCD is still fairly ubiquitous in the wilds of scuba.

Also, because adjustable harnesses on backplates tend to be expensive and require time for initial setup, it would seem that it would be much more convenient for a shop to have standard BCDs in their rental fleet...they might not fit perfectly but they will fit well enough right out of the bag/box.

New divers tend to be attracted to gear similar to what they used in their initial training as well as being attracted to what looks comfortable...although a meta backplate and harness is comfortable to wear, it doesn't present as such.

For shops that don't routinely deal with BP/Ws, purchasing one through them would most likely result in a higher price for the rig, and less than stellar information.

One thing BP/Ws have going against them: While they are completely customizable, the level of effort to make simple adjustments is quite a pain in the arse and can be more work and time than the average diver wants to engage in.

For best advice, folks new to BP/Ws should seek out other folks with experience with them and that may realistically be reaching out through the internet on sources like SB.

One other note...even though it seems like more and more shops are selling BP/W packages (at least the shops near me are) their experience with them is still lacking. A BP/W and harness requires time and trial and error....and some patience and forethought....a common newbie mistake is to string the harness webbing through the plate to test fit only to realize they need to rip it all apart to add the D-rings and whatnots.

It would be great if shops had the knowledge to get people outfitted with BP/Ws properly but not all shops do and not all shops have the time to dedicate to it either.

-Z

This is only true if the shop has experience with back plates, wings, and the different harness types.

As much as BP/Ws are the standard recommendation here on SB, the jacket/vest style BCD is still fairly ubiquitous in the wilds of scuba.

Also, because adjustable harnesses on backplates tend to be expensive and require time for initial setup, it would seem that it would be much more convenient for a shop to have standard BCDs in their rental fleet...they might not fit perfectly but they will fit well enough right out of the bag/box.

New divers tend to be attracted to gear similar to what they used in their initial training as well as being attracted to what looks comfortable...although a meta backplate and harness is comfortable to wear, it doesn't present as such.

For shops that don't routinely deal with BP/Ws, purchasing one through them would most likely result in a higher price for the rig, and less than stellar information.

One thing BP/Ws have going against them: While they are completely customizable, the level of effort to make simple adjustments is quite a pain in the arse and can be more work and time than the average diver wants to engage in.

For best advice, folks new to BP/Ws should seek out other folks with experience with them and that may realistically be reaching out through the internet on sources like SB.

One other note...even though it seems like more and more shops are selling BP/W packages (at least the shops near me are) their experience with them is still lacking. A BP/W and harness requires time and trial and error....and some patience and forethought....a common newbie mistake is to string the harness webbing through the plate to test fit only to realize they need to rip it all apart to add the D-rings and whatnots.

It would be great if shops had the knowledge to get people outfitted with BP/Ws properly but not all shops do and not all shops have the time to dedicate to it either.

-Z

That's why I said if there I one.

Guess I'm lucky up here. Though dive in general we probably have less than southern areas we have a lot of tec divers and even outside of that bpw is very popular because we are in 7mm or drysuits year around.

I just made my plate adjustable by adding 2 mares xr sf2 loops to the inner waistband.slots and passing a short lenght of webbing through each of the outer waist band slots for my pockets and waist D-rings to mount to. The short webbing has a triglide weaved.on the end and passed through the slot from behind. The otherr end has half height D rings for keepers that the wiast strap of my harness passes through. This keeps the weight pockets and D rings in a fixed position while allowing me to have an adjustbale harness to swithc between wet and dry suit. Unfortunately I did not take photos while putting this together but here are some crappy shots that might help:
View attachment 651246 View attachment 651248 View attachment 651254

-Z

That's pretty slick Z, I like it! Nice innovative solution.

Swapping a plate with pockets loaded with lead will always be cumbersome.

Unless you have so.e kind of cinch system, your waistbands ⁷strap is not easy adjustable, especially when you are wearing it.

The boltable feature of your oms pockets was designed to integrate with oms plates. They may play well with other plates but it is hit/miss.

I just mad my plate adjustable by adding 2 mares xr sf2 loops to the inner waistband.slots and passing a short lenght of webbing through each of the outer waist band slots for my pockets and waist D-rings to mount to. The short webbing has a triglide weaved.on the end and passed through the slot from behind. The otherr end has half height D rings for keepers that the wiast strap of my harness passes through. This keeps the weight pockets and D rings in a fixed position while allowing me to have an adjustbale harness to swithc between wet and dry suit. Unfortunately I did not take photos while putting this together but here are some crappy shots that might help:
View attachment 651246 View attachment 651248 View attachment 651254

-Z
Agreed. Love the innovation.

I would go with an AL BP if I went with a weight belt. It would make my rig easier to travel with and easier to handle switching tanks. My only concern would be that I need the dive shop at my destination to have the right weights for my belt. The place I was at this weekend only had the lead bags.
Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy the Aqualung/Apex Grip Lock tank bands...no issues changing tanks and use with your SS back plate...the non wrapture system

Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy the Aqualung/Apex Grip Lock tank bands...no issues changing tanks and use with your SS back plate...the non wrapture system

Works just perfect in there I bet

PICT0207.JPG.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom