Scubapro D400, fix or junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

p_kos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a D400 that came with an MK10 I bought. Opened it up and it looks rough, but more importantly seems to have the dreaded plastic orifice. Is it worth getting serviced or should I dump it?

upload_2020-10-10_16-39-0.jpeg

upload_2020-10-10_16-39-24.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-10_16-36-50.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-10_16-36-50.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 218
Get @rsingler to service it for you, you won't have a better person on the planet who can do a better job on a regulator of this vintage.

(He may decide to keep it for himself and not return to you :) )

Get @rsingler to service it for you and you won't have any better person on the planet do a better job.

(He may decide to keep it for himself and not return to you :) )
I figured I need a pro, few people know how to do it right and I’ve never done one so not too confident trying it myself.

I figured I need a pro, few people know how to do it right and I’ve never done one so not too confident trying it myself.

No joke, @rsingler is your man to do it.

I think they are very easy to service as long as you don't need to replace the dive-predive switch o-ring. That's a pain. But otherwise it's a breeze, with a little advice from the peanut gallery here.

I've never had one with the plastic orifice, but I suspect you could look for an older style replacement. It wouldn't be very expensive if you can find one. Rob would be a good resource for that.

Not sure if you have this repair guide, but if you follow you should be fine.

Attachments

• D400 repair guide.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 266
Not sure if you have this repair guide, but if you follow you should be fine.
I’ve looked over that one before. It doesn’t seem too difficult but I didn’t want to mess with the fragile plastic orifice. I’ll have Rob make a conversion to a metal orifice so it can perform to it’s full potential.

I’ve looked over that one before. It doesn’t seem too difficult but I didn’t want to mess with the fragile plastic orifice. I’ll have Rob make a conversion to a metal orifice so it can perform to it’s full potential.
I would keep it original, I have a 20 year old Scubapro BA with a plastic office and it works great.

I would keep it original, I have a 20 year old Scubapro BA with a plastic office and it works great.
That’s just it, the D400 was originally designed with a metal orifice and later “upgraded” to plastic which actually decreased performance in this particular model.

Back
Top Bottom