Is DAN membership worthless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apenland01

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just signed up and paid $35 for a membership. After paying, I read through all the information and noticed they won't pay for any medial stuff if you don't call TravelAssist and get a pre-auth. If I'm floating on top of the water and someone helps me, how would they ever know I had DAN membership and how would they know who to call? Seems like a membership that isn't worth the $35. Am I missing something???

Upgrade to the top membership yearly and stop worrying about it.
I just signed up and paid $35 for a membership. After paying, I read through all the information and noticed they won't pay for any medial stuff if you don't call TravelAssist and get a pre-auth. If I'm floating on top of the water and someone helps me, how would they ever know I had DAN membership and how would they know who to call? Seems like a membership that isn't worth the $35. Am I missing something???

As you pose the question in the title, no.
As you ask it in the post, yes.
You bought membership, not insurance. And DAN doesn't rescue you if you are floating on the surface. They are not a rescue service.

As you pose the question in the title, no.
As you ask it in the post, yes.
You bought membership, not insurance. And DAN doesn't rescue you if you are floating on the surface. They are not a rescue service.

I guess my point is that there are numerous "medical benefits" listed in the membership, but if a fellow boater rescued me and I was transported to the nearest medical facility without having called DAN first, then I'm on my own dime and/or health insurance. What benefit does basic DAN membership provide to divers?

DAN publishes a very good magazine of general interest to divers. I think it's worth it to be a DAN member even if you don't buy the insurance, just for that and to support the organization

I am a little mystified by why DAN membership doesn't include a tank sticker; that's good, inexpensive advertising for them. (Yes, I know you can order one from DAN for a small amount, if you're also willing to pay several dollars in shipping for something that costs fifty five cents to mail.)

From the many threads on this, I deduced that it may be a wise choice to have DAN if you tend to dive in far flung places not near a chamber. Otherwise, it still may be a good idea, but having emergency out of the country health coverage may be good enough. You probably want to have that anyway--see if it covers dive emergencies. May be fine if you don't need a helicopter ride to the chamber in Timbuktu.

DAN will cover you without pre authorization if you buy medical accident insurance through them and are involved in an incident, which you did not do. You got a membership which basically provides you a magazine subscription and access to online content. One accident in the next 20 years will cost more than 20 years of insurance if you don't have it. It also gives you the piece of mind to get treatment without worrying about the cost.

DAN will cover you without pre authorization if you buy medical accident insurance through them and are involved in an incident, which you did not do. You got a membership which basically provides you a magazine subscription and access to online content. One accident in the next 20 years will cost more than 20 years of insurance if you don't have it. It also gives you the piece of mind to get treatment without worrying about the cost.
Word!

When I joined my local dive club, they included with your membership a multi-line dog tag like the old style military ones, that you could customize as you liked.

Mine has my blood type, emergency contact and DAN #.

Is the $117 for the premium plan per month or per year? It isn't stated on the DAN website. Their Premier plan just has $117 listed, but not whether that is a monthly or annual fee. If it is annual, then it would seem to be a "no-brainer", but if it's monthly, I need to do a deeper dive on my primary health insurance.

Back
Top Bottom